The Game Awards 2018

Well, except for the part when he insulted 50% of Americans. Other than that. Political statements are always cringe-worthy at Award shows, and that one ruined a beautiful moment

How did he insult 50% of Americans?

McLean’s speech went longer than planned. Attendees at the show could see that the teleprompter read “Please wrap it up.” But before he did, McLean had one more thing to say.

“I guess I just gotta say that I’m gay, black, a furry—pretty much everything a Republican hates—and the best esports player of the whole year, I guess!”

When you define people by attributing malice and hatred to them, it is arguable that you are indeed insulting them.

And the expected response will be “but it’s trooooo.” But no, no it isn’t. Voting for a mainstream political party does not equal being a member of the Westboro Baptist Church. If the insult was indeed invisible to you, perhaps that’s just your version of acceptable hate. As in, if fish could talk they wouldn’t have a word for wet. If the reflexive reaction is thinking “but it’s trooooo,” then that’s just that’s the water you are swimming in, isn’t it?

So the guys a 20 year old naive fool who believes the garbage he reads on Twitter. Unfortunately millions more do.

The oppression of Republicans by gay, black, furry esports players like SonicFox needs to stop now!!

No, but voting for Republicans does equal being willfully ignorant, an asshole, a racist, or some combination thereof.

And @desslock might want to check his numbers. I know things are pretty dire over here, but 50% of us definitely aren’t Republicans. In fact, barely even a quarter of us are Republican.

-Tom

The missing 25% is affirmative action for the suppressed Republican minority. Just like gerrymandering and voter ID laws.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

OMG, build that wall.

Don’t worry Rick, we know you’re just an asshole.

To be fair, I should have said “voting for Republicans at any point since 2016”. I apologize to any principled people who might have supported the Republican party prior to that time, but know better now.

-Tom

Whatyearisit.gif

To be fair, he’s not using a Gregorian calendar.

Marty, get in the car! We’ve got to change the future!

You guys sure know how to derail a derail.

-Tmo

TMO is that you?!

BMO > TMO

EDIT: Gah, what am I doing turning this thread into a gratuitous P&R derail? I just wanted to correct @desslock’s assertion that 50% of us support Trump. I’d hate for folks from other countries to think we’ve got it that bad over here.

-Tom

I had a message from Xbox Live yesterday thanking me for watching the Game Awards through Mixer, but unfortunately, I did not win a copy of Battlefield 5.

I wonder how many copies of B5 were being given out? One? A thousand?