~The Game Pass Thread~

Sharing dik dik pics? Really, Kolbex?

#MeToo

Dude’s got a face on his face.
c9bb335f4f3e81c01206adf94fee8a38918eff95

Sorry to derail the thread from cute and bizarre African ungulates!

I recently noticed a slew of weird Windows events with eventID 157, “Disk X has been surprise removed”, where X is a random number lower than 20.

Concerned one of my disks was about to die, after a fair bit of investigation, it turns out the awful Xbox Windows app creates virtual disks all named inconveniently “Xvd” and constantly recreates and removes them at seemingly random intervals, creating these events. You can see a whole shitton of them if you go into device manager and turn on “show hidden devices”.

Anyway, this can be ignored until hopefully, at some point in the future, Microsoft fixes the bizarre piece of shit.

Surprise_Muthafucka

If they haven’t fixed it with Windows 11, it’s not going to get properly fixed, if you ask me. That was their chance to properly integrate it into the OS, so it “just works”.

Yeah, I noticed all those Xvd “hard drives” when I was installing my new hard drive last week. I figured it had something to do with Windows 10 so I decided not to worry about it.

This was on Windows 10, I didn’t downgrade yet. My guess is W11 will have the same problem.

I’m really trying to figure out why on earth they would do something like that. Just fucking download/install/uninstall software, that’s all they need it to do (aside from validating you have access to the game, of course).

If they’re doing a bunch of weird over-engineered crap like that, no wonder the app can have so many problems and get into such a bad state.

Keep it simple, stupid!

XVD files are “xbox virtual disks”. All Xbone/XSS/XSS cross-play titles are actually the Xbox console versions, running on your PC. So they mount those disk images. All that is actually fine, but it would be nice if it didn’t trigger very concerning event log entries!

Yep I googled and from reddit

It’s an virtual disk drive installed by the Microsoft Gaming Filesystem Driver. Xbox Play Anywhere games are essentially unmodified from their Xbox One counterparts, so their data files are stored in the native Xbox Virtual Disk (.xvd or .xvc) container format, and this virtual disk drive is used to load and access them.

Man this stuff is ridiculous.

Ok, after watching the early parts of The Gunk and thinking it starts rather dull that has me wondering about the potential design impact of Game Pass on future games targeted at it. Do you think we’ll see more front loaded stuff, even if it’s in media res or does the classic Metroid style lose all your powers reset? I feel like we might where with many games available as part of the service a game will need to get its hooks into the player early so they stay engaged and don’t just move on before it gets good as it were. The slow build is something developers can lean into more when the player purchased it so is likely to stick with it even if it starts slow.

At least for MS games, thats probably going to happen. I’m not sure how / if engagement / playtime is calculated into the payment model, but yeah long term its definitely going to change structure and content.

Just look at what happened / is happening in the music industry where streaming has also changed the concept of albums and song structure.

Nice, Lake is coming to Game Pass - been thinking about trying that one.

I’m looking forward to - in 3 hours and 4 minutes according to the countdown - Aliens: Fireteam Elite. This release seems to be half hidden since it was announced.

Aliens: Fireteam would have been the perfect Game Pass game, I’m a little annoyed I finally got around to buying it just a week or two before the announcement. I even checked Game Pass before I did to make sure it hadn’t landed on the service since I last checked! :)

I had fun with it, but I was also done with it after about 10-15 hours or so. Game Pass for me is perfect for that sort of game.

Thanks for getting Aliens : Fireteam onto gamepass @KevinC !

Depends how they get paid? If you get a lump dollar amount whether anyone plays it or not, then it won’t matter one bit if it’s front loaded. You got the bag.

If it’s going to be a situation where Microsoft only pays you if people are playing your game then you can expect every dirty trick in the book to keep people in one game over all the others.

Xbox Game Pass loses three Yakuza games, PES 2021, and a quick completion soon (trueachievements.com)

Arg, not the Yakuza games. You can’t just blow through one of those in a week or two.