~The Game Pass Thread~

Nice to see someone enjoying all the Halo games. They have brought me a lot of joy over the years.

My hat’s off to folks who go back and play through the Halo games, I can’t do it. I’ve installed it a couple times and thought hey, might be cool to see how they hold up to memory! But actually committing feels more like work than enjoyment, and I don’t want to have to force myself through a half dozen games so … in my memories they stay.

My son and I played F:LS together handing the controller back and forth like old days. It was a really great experience. Awesome that the sequel will be on GP4PC

It has been pretty fun. One of the reasons I didn’t hop on the ones I hadn’t played originally was that the enemies seemed repetitive, but I’m not really feeling that this time through, despite mostly playing them back to back to back.

The music is still great, the levels and firefights are interesting and challenging, they add more vehicles and air combat and I just like the characters/voice acting.

It also feels like there will be some new enemies in 4/5…

I spent the last week obsessively working on the (I think) penultimate boss fight in my current favorite Game Pass game, Archvale… BEHOLD, ThE BaNiShEd ExEcUTioNeR!

I’m playing on Hard difficulty with a ranged character… it’s the same bullet-hell chaos you see in the video, but (unlike this amateur) I could only get hit about three times by any “bullet” or I was dead. It only took two hits from his sword tornado to do me in. I had a lot of health potions but precious little chance to use them. Also, my Doomerang +5 hits for way less damage than you see here so it was a long battle of attrition and timing and luck.

I listened to hours and hours of podcasts just throwing myself at this crazy fight over and over again hundreds of times until last night when I finally beat him. I couldn’t believe it. And, yeah, I did thrust my fists into the air in epic triumph and then stand up to take a self-satisfied victory lap around the playroom. I fucking earned it!

Is Gamepass (PC) telling anybody else that you own The Outer Wilds when you have never bought it?

Did you watch Xbox’s E3 presentation in 2018? If you did, you should already own Outer Wilds.

Hmmm, but that’s on Xbox. I’m looking at the PC version in Game Pass (PC) and it’s not showing me that I own it. Just that I have it installed and can play it. I have the option to buy it.

I don’t remember but I don’t think I’ve ever watched one so…

For me, it says “You own this” under “INSTALL”.

It’s just being supportive.

lol nice

Hmm. Outer Wilds, or…

The Outer Limits?

Hitman Trilogy coming on Jan 20th.

As someone who hasn’t played a Hitman game since Blood Money, what is the trilogy?

The reboot Hitman (2016), Hitman 2 (2018) and Hitman 3 (2021). When the 2018 game came out, you could play all the 2016 game’s missions in the new engine. Same with the 2021 game, now you can play all 3 games’ missions in the more advanced engine of Hitman 3. So the trilogy is all 3 games in the Hitman 3 engine.

Rewarded for being a cheapskate!

I went back and tried out The Pedestrian some more over the past couple days. I have a more favorable opinion of it, though I’m not sure yet if I really like it. It’s interesting but I’m not sure it explains the things you can do or, more importantly, the things you should do to solve all the puzzles (and some of those puzzles are balls hard). Maybe I’m just missing some subtle cues or I’m just a dummy, but I didn’t really know how I solved some puzzles, and others I just kind of brute forced, trying different stuff until something clicked into place. Still on the fence about this one.

One of the best stealth games ever made, in its complete form. The podcasters on Crate and Crowbar called it “boringly perfect”, meaning only that it was perfect, but not in a new way, just in a way that began in 2016 and has been iteratively improved since then.

I’ve played it some and while the environments are pretty, the puzzles seem completely uninteresting to me.

I tried Hitman again and again and could never get into it… and I stupidly want to try again with the latest iteration.

Same here. I tried with the original, then whichever one was on Xbox, then Blood Money, then Hitman 2016. I just didn’t have the patience required. But Hitman 3? It’s going to be my jam. This time it’s the one!