The General Aviation Thread

Two things: the Ethiopian aviation authority’s preliminary accident report, and an article on trim forces and recovering from mis-trim situations.

http://www.ecaa.gov.et/documents/20435/0/Preliminary+Report+B737-800MAX+%2C(ET-AVJ).pdf

Boeing are now doing a kind of road-show where they’re showing off their new MCAS fix to pilots and world aviation regulators.

On the one hand, it seems like a sensible comprehensive multi-layered fix for the problems MCAS has caused.

On the other hand, it turns out this software only fix can compare angle-of-attack data coming into the left- and right-side Flight Control Computers and disable the MCAS system if there is any discrepancy between them. And display a warning to the pilots that this has happened.

In other words, this basic level of redundancy could have been achieved in the original design without incurring any hardware changes or manufacturing costs. Boeing never saw the need, and neither did the regulator.

Probably a really stupid question but wouldn’t the angle of attack only be the same when the plane isn’t turning?

Apologies for the ginormous copy-and-paste, but the whole thing seems pertinent and it’s behind a paywall.

Also, this sub-quote from the Boeing spokesperson seemed pretty gross. “Upon reflection on what has occurred, it appeared the system could present a high-workload environment—and that’s not our intention.”

Where “high-workload environment” doesn’t at all mean driving your aeroplane into the ground?

Really interesting question that had me (as a layman) stumped for a few minutes. Five minutes of moving my hand around in front of my face has tentatively led me to the conclusion that Angle of Attack, being the rotation of the aircraft around it’s lateral axis, is the same on both sides even if one wing is lower than the other. I think for the two wings to have different angles of attack would require them to twist.

Maybe?

From what I gather they were likely one and the same.

AoA does vary across the aircraft in turns, although I don’t have a good enough intuitive understanding of the mechanics to explain it. That said, it’s a small effect, and AoA sensors are noisy already, so presumably it’s a fuzzy equality.

We don’t have the Lion Air incident report, but according to the Ethiopian Civil Aviation Authority’s report, the bad AoA sensor read north of 70 degrees, which is an impossibility.

Other random facts from my recent readings:

1. The 737 Max has two flight control computers (left and right) which swap between ‘primary’ status on aircraft startup. Each computer uses the AoA vane on its side of the aircraft for MCAS.
  2. Previous versions of the 737 had two stabilizer trim cutout switches, one which disabled flight control computer inputs, while the other disabled the input from the yoke switches. The 737 Max had two stabilizer trim cutout switches, both of which disabled all electric trim inputs. That could have been a sticking point for pilots trained on a 737 NG—if you throw the cutout switch which, on an NG, was for autopilot only, then find that your yoke trim switches unexpectedly don’t work, that could very well contribute to turning the electric trim back on. I still think the forces from elevator deflection ‘locking’ the stabilizer trim beyond what you could feed to the trim wheel by hand is the most likely scenario, though.

Maybe all the 737 Max dreamed of was being a Flanker doing Pugachev’s Cobra maneuver? That might explain it… ;)

Yes. Though this then leads to the next puzzling question; why, having re-enabled electric trim (though that’s inference, not fact, as I understand it) the pilots didn’t make any kind of sustained effort to trim nose-up immediately afterwards.

Good question.

It’s inference, but solid and defensible inference. Evidently, the ECAA’s website is down, or they took the 737 report down, but there’s a section in the flight data recorder graphs which shows the autopilot stabilizer trim output, as well as the actual stabilizer trim motor engagements. After the first nose-down event or two, you see the autopilot continue to output stabilizer trim signals, but the motor no longer engages. Toward the end of the graphs, there’s another autopilot output paired with a trim motor movement.

Switch confusion might explain the ‘why’ there—if the pilot flipped the switch which, on all previous 737s, only permitted the yoke switches to make trim inputs but still inhibited the flight control computer inputs…

As an engineer, I just had a flashback. Of trying to make sense of Bob’s drawings and his boxes of papers about the trim cutoff function he designed for the 737NG. Bob was obviously a smart guy so I’m confident we can carry his design forward. But he retired 7 years ago so we can’t really go bother him about it. Anyway, I’m sure we can add this gizmo and procedure on top of Bob’s design because we’re only working within the same system scope. Right?

An aviation forum I follow said that the most criminal, least charitable interpretation of the switch change is that if Boeing had left it as it was in the 737 NG, with one switch for automatic electric trim and one switch for manual electric trim, they would have had to add MCAS to the 737 Max manual, in the list of functions the automatic cutout switch inhibits.

SO WHY DIDN’T YOU DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE???

QFFT!

Yeah. This reminds me of one piece of the puzzle I came across a few days ago. Apparently the MCAS system wasn’t new in the 737MAX. It (or a version of it) was originally developed and used in a couple of Boeing’s military variants for the USAF.

So “Bob” and his team had to solve this problem for a similar airframe with different engines. Can we just copy-paste it into ours? The spec looks reasonably similar…

LOL - cause they’re one in the same and it would cost them a bit of gross profit.

Now for something entirely different: a 1943 instructional video on assembling a crated P-47 in the field with hand tools only.

Will UPS deliver a crated F-35?

They very much will not.

They will but they charge for shipping which is crazy when I’m paying $75,000,000.