The General Magic the Gathering Thread

I really love Arena but man is it killing me that I can’t play with friends that I know are playing. For now I’ve been sticking to drafts. I’m not awesome at drafting but I can usually win a little before getting kicked.

Yeah, looking forward to friends lists. I feel like it can’t possibly be that hard to implement, so there must be some other reason they’re slow-rolling it.

I just can’t get a clean install. I deleted my old install and tried from scratch and there’s one file it keeps choking on downloading.

To be honest, I kinda get the feeling the programmers at Magic HQ might not be exactly the varsity team.

Taking a four-hour nap fixed it. I am unimpressed that I lose connection to the server half the time I create a deck and all of the time that I finish a game.

The sealed deck matches are single-game, no sideboard? wtf?

They just added sealed. It will undoubtedly get a Bo3 version in the future (what Arena calls “Competitive”). That’s how all the other modes were added.

After reading up more on the best ‘value’ for casual play, I realize I never looked into the game ‘Eternal’ - which sounds very much like MTG but with (maybe?) more options to be casual. I know it was brought up here before and I failed to ever pursue it to scratch that MTG itch. Silly me.

To stay on topic: Be sure to grind Singleton mode today for rares! Apparently you can spam a rat colony deck and get a few 1-win games, then just concede and start again. It was actually strategies like this that made me realize I’m not cut out for this kind of grind - I’m too casual to even cheese free cards.

In case you haven’t seen it, we’re getting the other 5 starter decks after all.

That’s good news. We had 10 in closed beta so it was a noticeable miss when they took 5 away.

I just dropped my first real coin on the game. I’d bought the Welcome Pack in closed beta, but today I dropped another $20 USD in order to have enough gems to do two more limited sealed deck matches. I signed up for GP Montreal this weekend, which is a sealed event, so I figure it’s worthwhile training! It’ll be my first GP.

Hey, good luck! Been a long time since I’ve done anything but casual MTG events, but I remember the atmosphere. Keep calm and remember to pay attention to everything during gameplay!

Good luck and may your mana be always just right.

Thanks! I’m going in with very lowest expectations so I hope that will combat my nervousness somewhat. I figured once I go my expected 0-4 I’ll just drop unless I’m in the mood to play some more Magic for the heck of it.

It’s fortunate that there’s a GP in Montreal, where I live, and that it’s a sealed event so I don’t need to worry about having a competitive deck. Especially since the meta seems to be all over the place right now, so soon after rotation.

So Wizards announced the “Ultimate Masters” set today for a whopping $13.99 per booster (still 15 cards). I am in awe of this pricing and people willing to pay it. I wasn’t an active magic player during prior Masters sets so this is quite surprising to me. I have people asking at the store already to buy a box ($335 MSRP) to get the single ultra rare extended art card.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-ultimate-masters-2018-11-05

I think a Black Lotus from the original set in mint condition is worth about $25,000. Just sayin…

Well it’s a relatively niche product, I think really engaged players will draft it one time. Wizards will only print a fraction of a normal set.

The store I used to go to used Modern Masters [one] packs as prizes in other tournaments. That was fun.

Well if any of you guys are crazy enough to buy a booster box let me know and I can get it to you cheaper than the other online people.

As someone who’s been out of Magic for 15+ years but has a renewed interest thanks to Arena: Are the Masters sets more or less a way to get new copies of staples for formats outside of Standard?

I think so. I don’t do Modern myself, but I have friends who do and they’re often gushing over the reprints when a Masters set comes out.

Yes, Masters sets are specifically reprint sets intended to increase supply for valuable cards for eternal formats, particularly Modern, Legacy, and Commander.

Almost every box topper that got revealed is a slam dunk for a set like this, and every single one of those cards except maybe Lavaclaw Reaches and Stirring Wildwood (both of which were sub-$3, but are odd men out in a cycle where the other three cards are $20+ and heavily played in Modern, Commander, and custom cubes) is going to hold a lot of value, just like the Masterpieces from recent Standard sets. I’m looking forward to the rest of the set being revealed, especially since it apparently isn’t intended specifically for draft like previous Masters sets, which means they might be more willing to print cards that desperately need reprints but don’t fit into Limited formats.