The golden age of horror: May (2003)

Title The golden age of horror: May (2003)
Author Chris Hornbostel and Bill Cunningham
Posted in Features
When October 8, 2014

Bill: Lucky McKee's solo directing debut is an odd little character study that slowly widens its lens over the course of 93 minutes to show the madness surrounding its main character..

Read the full article

This was freaking great. Went in cold, having never seen a LM movie, and man, what a totally weird and twisted and touching and cold and brutal movie. Also, the soundtrack! Chris, I can't believe you didn't mention the soundtrack. When I heard the Breeders over the opening, I knew I was in good hands.
I want to echo the sentiment about Bettis, and how convincing she made the transformation at the end feel. Her voice! You knew something was up during that sequence with her on the phone, intercut with shots of her applying lipstick. She sounded so cool, so calm, so in control. It was fantastic. I also loved the brief flashforward shot in the beginning of her screaming holding her hand over her (as we find out later) empty eye socket, blood streaming down her arms.

I love stuff like that in my horror movies. It unsettles you from the start.

I remember this movie. It's excellent and completely disturbing. I think when Brian de Palma's Carrie flips out (gains powers) she gets revenge on her enemies. May does the same with her enemies but also innocent bystanders. I think the most disturbing thing is that to me it really isn't even a horror film, in tone and soundtrack. But it does have a happy ending of sorts.