The golden age of horror: Splinter (2008)

Title The golden age of horror: Splinter (2008)
Author Chris Hornbostel and Grandy Peace
Posted in Features
When October 20, 2014

Grandy: Monster Movies have a rich history, being one of the major sub-genres of horror movies..

Read the full article

I was really surprised to see this movie on the list. Not because I didn't like it or anything, but because I actually always thought of it as a TV-movie . Back before SyFy was entirely about financing terrible things like Sharknado, they helped finance movies that had a wide range in quality and would premiere them on Saturday nights. They still released terrible things, but there were also some hidden gems (Infestation is my favorite as some sort of world premiere event. I liked it, but I bet it's a lot better without commercial breaks and editing for content.

Splinter actually enjoyed a very limited theatrical release, according to wikipedia. The first time I saw the movie was when it premiered on Sci Fi though - I'm pretty sure it was still named that when Splinter premiered! It's interesting that Splinter was so under the radar in the post Blair Witch world, though.

Yeah, it was weird for me at the time as well. I remember having heard good things about it from whatever festivals it played, so I know I was looking forward to checking it out when I did watch it. But, yeah, that's where it was at.