The Grand Budapest Hotel, aka, Ralph Fiennes joins the Wes Anderson players

First trailer.

“I’ve had older.”

Here’s how you know Wes Anderson is getting predictable: when I saw the thread title, truncated on the main page so all that was visible was “The Grand Budapest Hotel”, I began trying to remember which Wes Anderson movie that was.

Really? I keep assuming that it’s a sequel to The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

To be fair, as right as you both are, Lantz is more right.

Which reminds me, I was supposed to watch The Darjeeling Limited last year & never did. I should get on that.

For some reason, Anderson reminds me of Powell & Pressburger, if for nothing more than the visual style of their films (a great deal of credit must go to their regular cinematographer, Jack Cardiff). However, the British duo never was nearly as irritating as Anderson in anything the American makes. All Anderson films look alike, sound alike, have the same rhythm and construction, and even use the same stable of actors. The setting of the film does not even matter. Might be India; might be the Austro-Hungarian Empire; everything gets the Wes Anderson treatment, and his nostalgia, based on that trailer, is now getting the better of him. He’s not pushing his own boundaries, not even concerned about pushing them; criticizing him on that ground has become redundant because he’ll just keep on doing what he’s always done, regardless of what the critics or the audience might say (the word “precious” recurs often). He’s solely interested in producing even more precise maps of his tiny area of specialty. Which, naturally, is de rigueur to be acknowledged as an auteur nowadays.

How do you pronounce Saoirse Ronan’s first name? Is it like Circe the sorceress?

I met her once, it’s pronounced “soar-sha” and means freedom according to her Dad.

I suppose a Wes Anderson backlash should’ve been easy to see coming. I mean, Vetarnias raises some good points. His movies all look alike, he uses the same actors a lot of the time. I wonder how Hitchcock, Kurosawa, and Fellini coped with that sort of thing.

The last thing any good filmmaker should have is a discernible style.

I mean, did we really need another damn samurai movie with Toshiro Mifune from Akira?

And what’s with Scorsese and De Niro? Talk about a creative dead end.

I bet he never even considered casting Channing Tatum.

Darjeeling Express put me off of Andersen, but I would go see this. Amazing cast, and it’s especially great to see Ralph Fiennes having fun.

It reminds of Life Aquatic in that it seems like Wes Anderson just completely expanded his usual contained scope to be on a global scale. Hopefully it will have a similar action scene as Life Aquatic.

I have to say I really liked the trailer. I sadly am not a huge fan of Anderson, only really liking Moonrise Kingdom. But I’ll give it a shot once it hits netflix. :)

I only really enjoyed the Life Aquatic.

Well, directors can’t all be talentless, imbecilic hacks who are solely dependent upon extorted funds from others for their continued existence, like Atom Egoyan.

I only saw sweet hereafter but I liked it. Are the rest of his films shit?

yep. You saw the right one to see.

Going to see it tonight. No discussion here for a new Wes Anderson?? What’s going on here?