The Gray Man (Netflix): $200 million gets you the Russo Bros, Chris Evans, and Ryan Gosling

Well, not to me. I guess YMMV. For me, this was throwaway in the same way Marvel movies are throwaway, but — surprisingly — not as silly as Marvel movies are. I mean, it is a silly movie. Just not that silly.

This was an absolute ten. What a fucking movie, holy shit!

The above response broke my internet sarcasm detector. I’d expect to see this reaction in the thread for Everything Everywhere All At Once.

I liked this but the writing and dialogue were so bad.

I dunno, I’d argue that this is much more silly than a Marvel movie, by virtue of the fact that it refuses to honestly acknowledge its own silliness.

Also, so much of this movie is sillyness - specifically, weightless action scenes where nothing can actually happen to the main characters. It’s not like I’ve run any numbers, but I suspect a majority of Marvel movies spend a larger proportion of their time on character drama and development than The Gray Man. (… Though granted, not the last two Marvel movies, which is a beef I have with those ones.)

This movie, by contrast, seems positively embarrassed by character development, cramming it into small segments and relying on familiar tropes to reduce the amount of time it needs to spend, so it can get back to action scenes or generic trash talk between the two stars.

I watched RRR over the weekend. What was surprising to me was how much of that movie - which has gone viral on the western Internet largely because of its silly parts - was devoted to character drama and character development (though granted of the most exaggerated, operatic kind.) It was surprising to me that I cared vastly more about the characters in a movie that was promoted to me as featuring piggyback fighting, weaponized tigers, and a dance-off than a movie that, if you pay attention to the script, is supposedly about someone with PTSD trying to save a child.

I had fun watching with my daughter and trying to guess how much each 2 second quick cut cost to make. See that? No? $20,000.

I thought it was acknowledging its own silliness non-stop!

I actually have fun while I watch movies, and a super cool action romp on a Sunday afternoon while I enjoyed a cigar was just about the perfect Sunday afternoon and it was a freaking fantastic movie - I went in with zero expectations other than my Mom said her and my step dad really liked it, and yeah, it was genuinely a really fun time.

Good on you, I have fun watching movies too, only more fun when I watch something done really well like Everything Everywhere All At Once.

I enjoyed it. It definitely was not “good” action, but rather purely fun action. That’s fine for a summer, it will be forgotten sooner than later.

I wonder if the Russo brothers are fans of Bollywood or if the inclusion of Dhanush was a note by Netflix to get some buzz going in India.

I mentioned it to friends who keep up with Bollywood movies and they were already aware and excited about him being in this.

I mean, a little Bollywood probably would have made the movie better, and certainly helped to justify the cost a bit more.

I’d say the former.

After all, they also worked as producers on Extraction, which was partially shot in India and also had some known Indian actors in it.

I liked this, but I’m always struck by how Gosling has made a career out of never changing his facial expression.

He had a wide range

The action was good, but actually got a bit old,/tired for me. What I wanted more of Gosling and the little girl, and maybe more Chris Evans dialog.

I usually like a good moonshine action movie, but I kind of bounced off of this one.

I also think that the assassin genre is getting rather played out.

The kid was pretty good, which is rare.

She basically stole the scene opposite Leo in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Dude, Ryan Gosling has amazing range when it comes to breakfast cereals:

As someone who has read all of the books in the series, to date, if they’d named this movie something different and given the lead a different name, I don’t think it would have occurred to me this was a Gray Man story.