The Great Like Experiment of 2017

I noticed you can turn off like notifications, which is nice. It removes some of the intrusiveness.

My main issue with likes, as I have seen on other forums, is that they are often used to gauge who is winning a discussion. I think that sucks, and it kind of colors the discourse. Seen people trying to debate something, and comments of “You should stop, nobody is liking your posts” comes up. Which feels like an unnecessary pile on.

Is it possible to remove likes from the P&R topic, or Games topic? And leave it on for Hardware, EE, and Movies/TV?

As someone who doesn’t have a strong opinion on likes one way or the other (slightly against, but not opposed is how I’d place it), this is one sub forum where I am strongly against.

Thanks for mentioning this. I’d meant to turn those off but couldn’t be bothered to search through the settings to find it. Being reminded and knowing that it’s there to be found is a help, so now I went and did it.

Yeah, that really kind of makes likes disappear for the most part.

You can definitely remove them with an extension: either a custom one, a styling one, or an ad blocker.

It doesn’t look like it’s an option in discourse though.

So this like limit is pretty weird. I waited more than 8 hours and manage to dole out about 4 likes before being told I had to wait another 2 hours. Is the forum creating some kind of rolling window based on every like I’ve ever done or something? Sounds computationally expensive.

I know Tom should make two posts at the end.

We should keep likes
And
We should drop likes.

Then measure which post has more likes. :D

Yes, please do that during our one month like moratorium!

For some reason my sleep-deprived brain read that as alpacas. Still not sure what to think about that.

I vote we change the heart icon to a big ol’ steaming cup of joe. If not that, then a spaceship of some kind.

See, this is the perfect example of why likes can be brilliant. I have absolutely nothing to add to this post but I would like to quickly demonstrate my appreciation of someone’s quick wit.

I quite like ‘likes’ controlling a discussion. Same with upvote and downvotes. Sure it can make an unpopular opinion look ‘bad’, but maybe it is? People.keep speaking out against ‘likes’ in this regard but i don’t see much wrong with it.

The Paradox forums used to contain horrible and flat out wrong opinions on subjects, and the only ‘defence’ against it was having to reply, which caused the incredibly invested OP to reply in very long, point-by-point rebuttal format. Reading such threads you’d think the op plus a few of their supporters represented the view of the community, and those few who were fighting the good fight were the outliers, due to the amount of content they were generating.

But then the forums switched to a agree/disagree/informative set of rankings, and now it’s very plain to see that people with terrible opinions aren’t the zeitgeist and are in fact the outliers, because 50 people pressed the disagree button and only 1 the agree. Before people would open the thread, read a bunch of rubbish and move on, with the occasional defender bothering to reply. Now they press the ‘shut up please’ button.

And as a result people seem to feed those trolls less and the community self moderates.

Win win.

Of course, qt3 doesn’t have the same calibre of rankled history nerds and racists to deal with… And only has positive likes Vs negative ones.

Man if likes are in P&R, Trump supporters won’t even show their faces in there!

Is there some way to hide who liked a post? So it’s just the like count and not the who liked it list?

I don’t have a list unless I click on the $Likes note.

If stusser is Gollum you are Saruman. :)

I’m not able to work this out. @wumpus is Saruman because, like Saruman, he craves an item of great power (forum vs the one ring) and @stusser wants the forum for himself (much like Gollum wants the one ring), but hates likes (in this case a stand in for hobbits) while @wumpus loves likes, much like Saruman loves…hobbits.

Does Saruman love hobbits? I never read Silmarillion, so maybe that information is there, but I don’t think there is any statements about Saruman’s love for short hairy footed people in the Lords of the Rings. At least not in any version I read, though I guess there many be some movie version that might show footage of Saruman’s love of hobbits.

Also, if I might digress further, since the forum software was created by @wumpus et al., and if we agree that it is a stand in for the one ring, shouldn’t @wumpus be Sauron? Also, does that make @tomchick Frodo, for finding the ring? Or Gandalf? Also, Tom Bombadil… can we just ignore him like the movies did?

And my axe!