The Great Like Experiment of 2017

For a very good set of reasons though.

But I’m largely like you with likes, sometimes it is sufficient a response. Mostly it hasn’t mattered for me.

I’ve decided that my main objection to likes is obviated by simultaneously writing a post telling people why I liked their post. Which is probably really annoying, but fortunately that’s also highly amusing.

I would far rather get a post like that than a one button click, personally. Particularly since Discourse does not by default show the names of the people who liked a post. (I assume that info can be obtained, but it’s at least one layer obfuscated.)

You can go to hell sir, the Model M is far better than ANY mere Honda.

As an Insight owner

Please, I SAY this as a Honda owner.

So, likes, what do we think? Do we like them?

I prefer we keep them out… But then I am an old fart and don’t believe in love.

Literally beaten by seconds as I got to my desktop PC again. Thank you, Craig.

I’ve got your back ;)

I liked a like once, oh what a lark it was to like a like, for when one likes likes with one’s limited likes, little else lifts and lilts like that.

I’m specifically not liking that post, because you said like too much.

I’m liking your post, but in a petty and spiteful way :-D

wumpus said that likes encourage funny posts. I’d say it’s an increase in “har har” posts and playful silliness from overgrown children, so the improvement is dubious. It’s more noise in the short-term but maybe it helps the community build camaraderie in the long-term. In either case, it made me realize that we’ve always had those kinds of posts. At most we’re talking about a moderate increase in frequency.

I don’t care about lurkers who want more impact so that’s irrelevant. I also mute a lot of threads, which helps.

Yeah, likes are basically just a thing we make fun of.

By liking every @TimJames post (when I think of it)!

Eh, most days I forget they are there, so will use half a dozen one day, none for a week.

Oh, to hell with the color change for liked threads. And don’t give me any of that CSS jurisdictional bullshit, McGarnagle. Just remove it.

I think increasing funny posts is a bad thing. Adding a feature that changes the way that we communicate is bad. I don’t come to QT3 for “funny posts” I enjoy funny posts and jokes, but I wouldn’t want that to be inflated by some mechanic. While I think that nobody here is playing for an audience, likes encourage that type of posting.

But, I don’t think that our community is going to have that problem though. And with the ability of discourse to make likes basically invisible to me, if the settings are right, it is ok.

I think that we probably should say, lets do likes for 6 months or a year, and then re-assess how feel then. As I think any behavioral changes won’t become evident until then.

You rang?

Can I get a har har?