The Great Like Experiment of 2017

I think it is. Otherwise why not just shout into a bucket if you don’t care what others think? I like to think my thoughts have an impact.

I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding the concept of appreciation, or else I was unaware that it was impossible and/or meaningless to appreciate something that I could not communicate said appreciation to the creator thereof.

There goes books, movies, tv shows, poetry and art out the window. Guess I can’t appreciate any of those things anymore! Certainly can’t appreciate role models and people who had an impact on my life after the fact either, nor appreciate things created by those who are long since passed away.

No, I understand appreciation, but I also understand making it easier to show appreciation in any fashion is by far a net positive. It’s why I say thank you when some one says bless you after I sneeze. It’s the little things that make a difference.

Why would anyone be banned for posts like that? Nothing to do with special treatment for wumpus, those posts weren’t even warning-worthy.

One piece of core functionality discourse lacks is ignoring or muting specific users who push your buttons. I wouldn’t use it myself as I have very thick skin and don’t get all hot and bothered about internet forums, but I know a lot of people would appreciate that functionality.

I sure would. The only person I know for sure I had on ignore previously eventually got banned but it’s a really useful tool for forcibly disengaging oneself from conflict with someone who may not generally be behaving badly enough to warrant being removed from the forum entirely, and helps make for less drama all around.

Eh, I’ve been married long enough that my ability to tune things out is keenly tuned. Though I suppose others who may not have such awesome skills of obliviousness might appreciate the return of Ignore.

Just saying that arrendek’s awesome user script for Discourse brings back more or less full muting and it is glorious :)

I still think likes encourage agreement, snappy one shots, and isn’t really conducive to meaningful discussions or, you know, actually learning, asking questions or you know just being a fallible human.

I eventually came around to FB which is just a like fest, so I am sure i can manage here too if that’s the decision.

Just saying that arrendek’s awesome user script for Discourse brings back more or less full muting and it is glorious. Doesn’t look like anyone has mentioned that.

Has that been your experience so far with likes turned on? Can you provide some examples of “snappy one shots” that garnered a lot of likes? If you don’t want to, that’s fine. It’s not your job to dig up the data for this experiment, but I’d be curious to see an actual example of this in action.

Well I don’t want to call any specific people out but there is a reason Meme’s became big on FB. Those get a lot of likes after all, and there are entire articles on the feel good nature of getting a positive reinforcements on social media and dopamine highs.

I haven’t noticed such a thing here yet, even if it is indeed a possibility. So there’s that.

Heck, even when I do explicitly post a snarky one shot gif or something, it gets like 1 or 2 likes. And I’d have posted them likes or no anyhow. It just isn’t how Qt3 rolls.

YOU SHUNUVABITCH

The key point for me is using the like button days later. I don’t visit the forums as often as I used to, but when I do, I still read all Unread topics. I pressed the like button for a couple of posts from April 17 just today.

There are threads with over a hundred posts between now and then. It would be unusual, if not disconcerting, if I were to break up the flow by talking about a post I agreed or disagreed with that was made two weeks ago. If I sent a PM, that’s even stranger (as much time as we devote to our posts, they’re hardly fan mail worthy).

But damn it, I liked that post and maybe you’ll see that I liked it, and maybe that’ll brighten your day.

I am enjoying likes because sometimes I just wanna show appreciation for something interesting or funny that someone said, but don’t really have anything substantial enough to actually say about the subject to warrant a post.

Exactly. And if that encourages people to post more interesting or funny things, then all the better.

In case anyone was wondering, arrendek’s user script for Discourse allows you to mute users and works really well. Surprised nobody brought it up yet.

I see what you did there

Rule of three!