The Great Like Experiment of 2017

Nah, for $10 you get 100 boxes which have a random chance of containing a like.

It’s true. I will like every goddamn post Tim makes.

Likes are bad. The end is nigh!

/Chicken Little

As a real response though, I just want to say that I’ve wanted likes this whole time. :) I really don’t think that suddenly all rationality and reasons for posting are going to be thrown out the window here and replaced by some kind of weird popularity contest.

So will I, for no other reason than to troll him with likes.

Wat? I come back in this topic after leaving for an hour and now it’s chaos?

1. A note of approval for this idea, @tomchick, since I don’t have a convenient button to push that would log such with fewer keystrokes.
  2. This might be a “me” problem, but I absolutely loathe the behavior that some people on other boards seem drawn to, which is to “like” nearly every post they read. It’s just dumb. I dunno that restricting likes to a number per day makes a ton of sense, though, because I’m a pretty heavy user and would "like"ly come up near the cap if I’m having a particularly generous day, and that seems dumb and wrong.
  3. Discourse defaults are almost always wrong, so do whatever the opposite of that is.

I’d like this post if I could.

But doing so would create a paradox. You don’t like likes, so you want to like the post disliking likes. But doing so means you like likes, and therefore can’t like it.

listens for the sound of Brians head exploding, as he is obviously a robot to play as many games as he does

I like it! Let’s do it!

Stars are not granular enough. His idea is interesting but lacked a bit of polish. I would rate the post 78%.

/carefully constructs this post so it says what he thinks other people want to upvote.

Does Discourse allow us not to display likes? You lot can hug each others nuts as much as you like, I’d rather not play that game.

Yes, I’d rather not see likes also. It would be nice if there was a way to turn them off.

Also, aren’t we enough of a hive mind already? Likes basically form sub-cliques and echo feedback. Likes are one of the reasons I left That Other Board [tm] behind.

That moment when you post “Bronys are stupid” and get 50 downvotes and no upvotes.

Oh boy, the hive mind discussion! Let’s have that again.

I mean, err. . . GET HIM BOYS

Bronys are stupid.