The Great Like Experiment of 2017

Also, this:

There was this episode of Sliders where they went to a universe where people could go to a machine and take out free money. Each time they did they were entered into a lottery where they might be killed for population control. I was trying to think of a similar system for likes. Each time you like, you might win the lottery of being on the hook for a $10 donation.

In all seriousness, I’m ok with trying this for a month and see how it goes.

And I’m getting my LIKE finger warmed up. Exciting times, no matter how this shakes out.

Get out. Booooooo.

Ah, subtlety. It’s a lost art!

This is definitely a great time to be alive. Thanks Tom! Thanks Trump!

My first like will be to applaud the death of Charlie Murphy.

This may have been brought up earlier, I only skimmed the thread a bit before this thought hit me - by limiting likes will people then feel compelled to “spend” their daily allotment at the end of the day so they don’t feel like they wasted them? That might lead to more likes than leaving them as unlimited, perhaps.

Everyone should start the day with only one Like, but if you get a Like on a post, that Like gets added to your pool.

We can start trading them like a prison currency. They’ll be like cigarettes, batteries, or Ramen.

We could also have “dislikes”, that take a “Like” from your pool!

No wait, that would be terrible. Or wait, would it?

5 stars

Like.

And then we can all give a like to @Telefrog and @TimJames so that they are removed from circulation for the day. Create scarcity to drive up the price.

Soon you’ve got shaking junkies, copying frontpage posts from reddit to the GIFs thread, looking for a couple of Likes to tide 'em over till sleep finally takes them away from this cruel, nightmare hellscape we’ve created on our forums.

Maybe there’s only one like. And it transfers when you like someone’s post. That person would have godlike power until they gave it away.

Maybe sell likes for $10 for 100 likes. Then after you exhaust your supply, you need to pony up another $10 for another 100 likes.

This forum by April 17th at the latest:

The real problem with limited likes is that I’ll be getting so many and they’ll be wasted. I will have them disabled with a browser extension so I’ll never see them.

Then I’ll just have to reply with a written out LIKE and you’re going to like it. Or you’re going to have to modify your browser extension to filter out the word LIKE in posts. And that’s just going to give strange results that you’re not going to like.