The Great War: Western Front - WWI RTS, Petroglyph

A windmeal was harmed in the making of this video!

WWI, trench warfare, real-time. The first RTS with more speed up options than slow down options?

So they open the trailer with a bit from the Wilfred Owen poem… one thinks if they understood the point of the poem (not a complex one), maybe they wouldn’t make a game about the war?

(Also, I think they had just about every tank Germany used in the whole war in that screenshot at the end.)

If you turtle up and take an early expansion, maybe you can build 4 of them.

Yeah. Retarded. Actual Great War RTS = zerg rushes against a fully turtled opponent. Sometimes the zerg rush goes one way, sometimes the other. So goodbye to all that.

I wish Pandemic would remaster Empire at War. That I could get behind.

“With success measured in inches!”

Cut to hundreds of soldiers and tanks zooming across the battlefield.

Well they’re very small.

Beta report #367:
game sux, need to increase entente infantry speed and reduce TTK on tier 2 armor

The fact it is Petroglyph would make me hesitate no matter the subject. I guess they did okay with the C&C remaster, but most of their stuff for a while hasn’t been that great.

Learned yesterday that the name Peter comes from ‘stone’ in Greek or petros, as in petrified. Pretty cool.

They literally just made this game with Conan Unconquered - a WW1 version would have been great.

I mean not really. The typical course of an attack on the Western Front in WWI was a massive artillery bombardment to disrupt the defenders followed by the attacking troops racing across no man’s land in an attempt to get to the defenders’ trenches before the defenders (in particular their machine guns) could recover enough to repel them. This was successful more often than not.

The reason the front lines were so static was that it was impossible in those circumstances to break through much further or consolidate the gains made. Behind the first trenches were more trenches that were out of range of the bombardment (and if not would recover in time), followed by the defender’s own artillery. The defenders could simply bombard the attackers in their captured trenches and attack them easily using their reserves.

I’ll admit that still doesn’t sound like a compelling RTS experience though. :)

Yeah, it’s a perpetual cycle of I take your front line trenches, you take my front line trenches, wash, rinse, repeat until one side just collapses from attrition.

Now, the mobile phase of the war on both fronts was a lot more, well, mobile, but it’s kind of hard to do a game billed as a WWI game that only covers the first three or four months of the war.

Also, that game would be: “watch the youth of your country die by the tens and hundreds of thousands until we get that whole trench-building thing down.”

What’s the update in this regard? Thanks in advance.

As a long-time abstainer from RTS, having grown up with Dune 2 and Command and Conquer, I might just give this one a go.

The hook that has me interested is the emphasis on the “tactical pause” feature. Basically meaning that you can issue orders whilst paused (in single player), otherwise known as “active pause”. However in this one, it reads like the active pause is considerably enhanced with the functionality to queue up multiple commands.

That’s very interesting. That moves this one from ignore to following for me.

Demo is out as part of Steam’s Next Fest’s hundreds of demos:

Has this been talked about before?

I remember some talk about a WWI RTS a while back but I don’t remember if this was it. It certainly didn’t impress me anyways. Watching the video of the article linked above it actually looks quite cool. It reminds me a lot of the Gettysburg game and the campaign overlay looks neat too. There may be a fair bit of strategy involved. Apparently a demo is dropping on Steam tomorrow?