The "Hike On!" thread of Hiking, Camping, Backpacking, and Outdoor Adventure

It wasn’t that bad really. Though if you step of the ridge to the left, you die. Its about 1200 feet down at about 70°. But there was enough snow that the traverse was easy.

@Matt_W if I can I would absolutely join. It all depends on my family. They’re joining me out here in three weeks, so I have no idea what October looks like!

As for clockwise vs counterclockwise, if you go clockwise there is one big vertical spike. From 5500 to 7300 over 3 miles. If you go counter clockwise there are two. 5400 to 7300 over 3.2 miles and from 3300 to 5500 over 3 miles. The climb out of the Sandy River is the sharpest elevation gain on the trail. Where if you go clockwise that elevation is spread over 10 miles as you go from Ramona Falls to McNeil Point.

In fact the hike up he shoulder to McNeil point is spectacular views, as it gives you the widest view of the summit on the trail.

Tell us what pictures you have taken recently (that are interesting)

I haven’t done he full trail, but I’ve done pretty much the entire west half. I would concur with the consensus that clockwise is the way to go. If nothing else it puts the last day as mostly downhill as opposed to uphill.