The "Hike On!" thread of Hiking, Camping, Backpacking, and Outdoor Adventure

So I returned to do one of my favorites. Partly because it’s a butt kicker, partly because it’s less than 40 minutes away. Now I have hiked both mountains several times, but I’ve never done the full loop. But it was a beautiful day, clear skies, so I figured I’d give a go.

Now about a month ago I shared these photos

They’re relevant because that is Elk Mountain. Part of this loop. Now for sake of logistics I started at the Kong’s Mountain trailhead, which is the southwest corner of the map. Would proceed clockwise around. This is because Elk mountain does its ascent in about a mile and a half. About 2700 feet of climb (you gain 2200 feet in elevation, but have a couple of drops and ridges to climb again). Where King Mountain is about 2800 feet of climb, no drop backs, and about 2.5 miles.

Beautiful start. Even a week ago though I could see snow at lower elevations from the valley, but today things were clear and warm.

As I went up in elevation I did eventually see snow, but very limited until about 2200 feet, and not sweiously until 2700 feet

Which I eventually got to an overlook and saw my first goal. The peak of King Mountain

While my hike was not so severe yet, there are times it is. I mean you can see the map, that’s some serious slope.

As I climbed the snow intrusion onto the trail became pretty severe. Mostly hard, and careful planning on footing kept me from post holeing or getting too wet. For now. But by the time I was done I would be wet to my knees.

But eventually I made the summit. Just over an hour too, a pretty good time. Most people take an hour and a half to two.

It’s a great view. But this is only 1/4 of the way into the hike, so not time to rest. However on a clear day like today, you can catch glimpses of the ocean, about 30 miles distant

More to come, including an incredibly treacherous back half.