"The horror ... the horror ..." Apocalypse Now: The Video Game

At least now they’ve started to explain what the game actually is.

Holy crap, an additional $5 million? Where were they hoping this money was going to come from? Not donations, surely?

I went for the $25 early bird special. Now it’s $35 min to pledge, for a $40 game. Not much of an incentive. You’re basically pre-ordering the game and have to wait three+ years for it. I doubt they will reach even close to $900k. They might hit $250k, if they’re lucky.

The trailer is great, the game looks visually appealing, the KS page seems well constructed… Yet they only got a sixth of their goal so far. It’s so hard to get media exposure for a Kickstarter campaign nowadays (unless you’re a veteran of the video game industry with lot of connections).

And it’s just kind of strange, conceptually. Who are they trying to reach here, fans of the film who also play video games who also are willing to gamble with their money? There’s no way that’s a significant audience. I mean I think it’s an interesting idea, I’d probably buy it if it ever actually saw the light of day, but I can’t see myself getting in on this Kickstarter, even if I thought it was viable, and it doesn’t really look like it is.

The would-be developer is at the RPG Codex right now explaining how the game got derailed by an international pedophile conspiracy. Now he’s suing somebody or something. He’s not making an enormous amount of sense. If you’re into internet drama, this is at least more entertaining than the game would ever have been.

I’m shocked, shocked, I tell you, that the sponsor of a nonsensical kickstarter about a fucking Apocalypse Now game might not have his head screwed on.

It seems fitting that the production of a game about Apocalypse now would go off the rails.

Now someone needs to make a game about this game, so we can find out what happened.

Call me when he kills the water buffalo.

So, I guess we’ll see this before Star Citizen is finished?

Also, holy crap at that thread. From Victor Salva to international banking and alleging all other Kickstarters are scams, it has it all.

I know it’s a flawed analogy, but whenever I want an “Apocalypse Now” general vibe, I just fire up Vietcong (2003).

edit: Shit, “Vietcong” is not on Steam?!?

I’m guessing that you don’t spend any time at the Codex. That’s mild. :)

I was gonna ask… so has RPG Codex always been that way? I cant be arsed to figure out if its full of alt right / neo nazi’s or they are being ironic. Very confused :)

It has been that way for as long as I can remember. At first I just read threads. Some are blocked to non-members. I joined a few years ago to get access to the Cleve Blakemore threads.

But yeah. For as long as I can recall it has been

Unless you’ve been to No Mutants Allowed.

Lol, cheers!

Yeah, NMA is a special breed

The Codex is full of people who like 1980s-style CRPGs and right-wing extremists from eastern Europe. There must be some reason why those two groups have so much overlap.