"The horror ... the horror ..." Apocalypse Now: The Video Game

You’re going to want to get in on this Kickstarter:

The best part has to be the names involved - Josh Sawyer from Obsidian is involved, as is Francis Ford Coppola himself. I am truly interested in how this turns out - not sure I want to gamble on kickstarting.

That is awesome.

“You’re gonna want to get in on this… Not sure I wanna get in on this”
divedivedive
:P

He is large. He contains multitudes. :)

That’s right - can I count on you, Jack_Howitzer, to take one for the team and let me know how that turns out? And if not, could you maybe talk one of your buddies into it?

I could stand to lose a few, definitely.

I was a kid (well okay, 19) when I saw the film, and I could barely handle it.
The only way I could handle it in game form is if they totally mess it up.

Also, I don’t think $900,000 is enough, with a late 2020 release goal.

Well we can count on one thing; no matter what, Charlie still won’t surf.

Tag line: “You can either surf, or you can fight!”

Though on the balance I’d rather Coppola made a game out of The Conversation…

That’s my favorite of his movies, other than Godfather I and II. It would be a more interesting concept.

I like it better than The Godfather movies, mob stuff just doesn’t speak to me even though I can certainly recognize they’re really well made films. I admire Apocalypse Now but mainly because it feels like a hallucination caught on film. I really couldn’t say I “like” it. But The Conversation, man I can watch that any day. And yeah, I think you really could make a decent game out of the day-to-day existence of a schlubby surveillance expert.

I absolutely love Godfather II (except the part where he kills Fredo, but that’s another story), but I had to think about whether or not I considered Godfather better. I kind of think Sonny pushed me over as I love Jimmy Caan.

On the other hand, The Conversation is so fascinating and self-contained that it almost seems like a perfect short story.

Apocalypse Now, like a lot of people I’m sure, has kind of worn on me to the point where I don’t like it nowadays. The Redux was absolutely horrible and kind of tainted my desire to see it again. To me, if the movie had ended before they reached Kurtz, I think it would have been better. It completely loses me after the “point of no return” with that dude using his mystical powers to shoot a grenade. To be fair, that’s one of my favorite parts of the movie, but you know it’s going to hell after that point. The stupid French mansion, the Playboy bunnies and the sweating Brando never made me happy.

Aren’t there already a number of games that sort of co-opted the heart of darkness storyline into games? I’m not saying that means this shouldn’t exist, I’m just wondering how it’s going to try to stand out.

Yeah, I think Telefrog drew the connection with Spec Ops: The Line in the front page article, since that is essentially already the Apocalypse Now game. One would hope we won’t be mowing down VC with a machine gun until we get to the Kurtz final boss.

Doh! Thanks. Usually I try to make sure and read the thing before I comment, but I failed this time.

This is an interesting description:
“It’s like Fallout: New Vegas on acid in the middle of the Vietnam War.”

Yeah, I’d give it a 1 in 1000 chance of not being a complete disaster. But man, if it hits that 1…

The developers are adamant that they’re not going for a combat game. It’s going to be a “psychedelic survival horror RPG” according to them, which may mean anything or nothing at this early stage.

The only thing I’m sure of is that $900k is nowhere near enough to make this game a reality unless they cheap out and use a bunch of stock Unity assets and clone any one of the awful Steam survival horror games there.

I have to wonder what the plan is. I could see the video game guys on this project aiming for an interesting experience, possibly going lo-fi on the graphics and sound. But with Coppola involved, I would think he would be pushing for as cinematic an experience as possible. Of course they could be doing the old “lowball the kickstarter estimate in hopes enough people are intrigued enough to double our asking price.” Man, there’s got to be an acronym for that.

It’s not looking good.

[quote]
When we launched this campaign, we made a mistake.

We forgot that many of you have been disappointed by overreaching games and overreaching promises.

We had stopped paying attention to the Kickstarter world, when we put our heads down and went to work on this full-steam about 18 months ago – first with documents and then with prototypes.

Because we went upriver, we did not remember that those of you who love games and those of you who love Apocalypse Now would immediately treat the announcement not with excitement, but with concern.

This skepticism has been echoed by some of the gaming press who told you that the game doesn’t need to exist. That other games had covered this terrain.[/quote]

[quote]
We’re asking for trust. We’re asking for money. We’re asking for $900,000 here and $5,000,000 over 3 years on the website.[/quote]

Ah! There’s the rest of the funding. I knew $900k wasn’t enough.

[quote]
I am personally, directly asking for your support.

As of this writing, the trend line indicates that we have a 50% chance of reaching our goal.[/quote]

They’re boned unless some angel investor comes in.