The Killing

I get the feeling that there are several more red herrings to go before we get there.

I’m kind of worried that the red herrings are going to cause the show to fall into a rut. This is two weeks running we’re we’ve been left with a reveal of an omg new suspect!!! I hope it doesn’t turn into a recurring pattern.

I have to agree if they trot out a new suspect each week I’ll rapidly lose interest. I handful of suspects is good number enough to keep you guessing but, not so much that it becomes frustrating that the writers are manipulating you. It is still way above average series IMO but compared to Mad Men, Walking Dead, or my fav Breaking Bad it has a long way to go.

Yeah, I’m curious if they will start to string plot points across multiple episodes rather than setting one up and knocking it down so to speak.

Also, that seemed like an awful lot of blood in the cage to just get explained away as I have nosebleeds!

I liked this week’s episode, though it was slow. Just like the male cop, you want them to go get Bennett and bring him in for questioning, but they have to bide their time and gather evidence. Everything remains circumstantial, but its teetering close to the limit. I think next week’s episode will be exciting!

Just saw the two hour pilot – really well done. Love the style.

Under typical crime procedural writer logic, the killer is the father’s workmate, the guy who makes the Osama joke in the very beginning. (Ask yourself which speaking character you would have written out if you had to get by with a lower budget). Since this is a long form mystery though, that character probably just plays a bigger role later in the season.

After four episodes, they need a momentum boost. A POV from the killer might help but I don’t think they’re going to do that.

I fear you may be right on your initial assumption.

You’re overlooking the potential Amy Acker Phenomenon (it had another name at one point, but that’s what I remember it as). Ensign Ro and generic lumpy guy are probably there just to be sad at the camera and possibly take out a hit, but there are a few other recognizable actors that could fall into the trap. Specifically, wannabe mayor, current mayor, and wannabe mayor’s sex receptacle are all people that I’ve seen around.

I have the fiancée penciled in to my top spot at the moment.

If the mystery part of the show ends up being ordinary, I think I’ll still like this show a lot. The plotty stuff isn’t what made this show stand out, it’s the way they do it.

I mainly like seeing the ‘ordinary’ scenes of policework and life shot in ways that make them interesting.

Anyone else laugh when Detective McDirty busts out with the Monarch Butterfly migration facts?

I’m enjoying the show immensely. The wife thinks it’s way too slow, but I like that we are seeing more of the characters rather than the traditional wham-bam of a mystery solved in one hour.

I think I’m going to stick around to see how the mystery pans out, but I’m lumping this in with Rubicon as another AMC misstep. Everything from the cop procedural and mayoral race side feels fake to me because I feel like The Killing team learned the gritty details by watching other shows, not by actually knowing what those worlds are truly like.

As for the parents, the grieving portions of the show started to feel like recycled filler allowing each 15 minute investigative portion to end on a cliff hanger. Same goes for the cylon waiting for our main character in Sonoma. Maybe when I’m done with the season, I’ll look back and appreciate the pacing more once I know what happens with the parents and that cylon wedding, but I don’t think I’ll shake that feeling of the show ringing just false enough.

Pretty sure that we can call the outcome from here as being entirely and totally related to the renewal prospects of the show. They won’t move it out of Seattle, so if it gets a second season, I’m going to guess that The Guy Who Has Never Played a Character That Isn’t a Smoking Bag of Rotting Pig Dicks won’t be married to Woman Who Is Really Quite a Bit Prettier in Real Life Than They Make Her Look Like in the Show in any conventional sense.

We can almost certainly say they won’t stay together and the wedding will be off because the setting is Seattle, but maybe that will have an interesting enough impact to make this plot feel worth it when you look back across the entire season. My guess is it won’t be and it’s just an angle that drags everything down.

If it turns out to be the father’s coworker, I’m going to be annoyed. But the way its edited makes me think it probably is. There’s no real reason for him to be around otherwise.

Or the father. The way he broke down seemed a bit more than grief. But that would be too much like Twin Peaks.

No way it’s the father.

It’s the maker of Bits n’ Pieces cereal. Rosie found out what the bits and pieces are made of and had to be silenced. Looks like her little brother is on the path to uncover everything.