The Last Duel - Affleck and Damon Reunite to Tackle #MeToo in 14th Century France

This is now on HBO Max.

Saw this in the theater months ago and just finally got the book from the local library earlier this week. Apparently the library system only had one copy and there was a long waiting list for it.

Watched it again on HBO last night. Probably my fav movie of 2021.

Saw this on HBO Max and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Expectations were low because I had bounced off Kingdom of Heaven before - twice (both cuts.)

But this was well worth a watch. First and foremost, as you’d expect from a Ridley Scott film, it looks great; you could watch it just for the visuals. Fortunately, you don’t have to: the rest of the movie is well-crafted if not earth-shattering. While the narrative strategy of multiple perspectives is common enough nowadays, it went over well. Jodie Comer was good, Adam Driver was good, Matt Damon was less good but playing a role that matched his range.

And Ben Affleck was having a grand old time! It was actually heartening to see him having fun with a part after all those Batman movies where he looked like he was dying of indigestion.

Agree. I had little idea of what to expect and was more than pleasantly surprised. The different versions of the truth approach works really well and gives the actors an opportunity to showcase their chops by acting the same scenes with very different affect and motivation. The film itself is gorgeous. There is a bit too much reveling in the fight scene violence and gore for my taste, but it isn’t completely over the top, and the rest of the film more than makes up for it. This is the best Adam Driver performance I think I’ve seen, and Jody Comer steals the film outright.

I thought he was great!

Yeah, he was great.

The Razzies kind of suck sometimes.

Don’t get this one at all. He’s not outstanding, or anything, but he plays the role well.

I really liked this movie. Tis a shame it bombed.

It’s actually comforting that the Razzies have WTF nominations just like the Oscars. Perfectly balanced.

He’s like 90x better than Damon in that film.

Haha affleck haz bowl cut haha.

To my great shame I did not even realise Affleck was in this film until the second perspective kicked in. Then when my wife watches it later I hear “haha affleck” two minutes after the play button is pressed.

I watched it on Disney+. It was worth it just for Jodie Comer. And unlike Rashomon there is a clear truthful version. This kind of movie realistically will only sell in art house theatre and Ridley Scott is complaining it is not as big as, what, MCU movies??? In any case, all his movies after Alien Covenant deserve to bomb, it is just… karma.