The Last of Us - Naughty Dog's Next

The worst thing about games that do the compiling shaders bit is every time they publish an update, you get to do it again.

Friends donā€™t let friends Day One.

Wild, but if it ever gets Verified (which it probably will), the shaders should come precompiled.

Yeah that will help a great deal. Major bonus of the device.

You donā€™t want no 8GB card :/

Having said that, I think this might be the first Hardware Unboxed review where theyā€™re not using DLSS/FSR/XeSS. Because people were mean to them.

Having said that, my 8GB 3070 is just fine at medium settings, where it looks good. It did crash at High in the intro cutsceneā€¦ need to try that again.

Bumping up some settings with low VRAM requirements got me another crashā€¦

2 Likes

3rd patch out today, plus an Nvidia driver hotfix.

ā€¦ so more shader rebuilding - yay :)

Edit: Seems more stable. No crashes. Still on Medium with some High. High textures made my GPU fans spin up painfully, so back down at Medium there.

My main complaint (apart from the depressing setting :) is the slightly obtuse controls. I still donā€™t know how I swap one gun for another especially reliably, and my item hotkeys are an intuitive 3, 7 and 8 :/

I canā€™t help but think it is an optimisation problem, not just a 8 Gb Vram problem. I mean, at 1080p texture need not be super-high res anyway because you canā€™t really see the details. But developers can just ā€œfuck itā€ and use 4k asset anyway even at 1080p, which of course will cause problem for cards with 8Gb Vram.

Granted, current gen console doesnā€™t aim for 1080p anyway, but for PC 1080p is still the most common resolution (confirmed by Steam stats, a whopping ~65% of steam users).

In short, IMO this is a lazy console port problem.

Been playing the PC version of this after a long hiatus from gaming (several months), and to be honest Iā€™m not really digging it. After seeing it hailed over the years as ā€œthe greatest game of all timeā€ I canā€™t help but be disappointed. Iā€™m 2 hours in and itā€™s one of the most linear games Iā€™ve ever played, almost a rail-shooter in its lack of being able to wander to the side and do things, with hundreds upon hundreds of artificial barriers to keep you from even jumping up on that car over there to beat your chest. Not asking it to be open world or sandbox but unless youā€™re only into the story the gameplay here is lacking so far. Itā€™s slow crouch-walking then stealth-shoot stealth-shoot and no room to have fun it seems. I was hoping this would cure me of my gamerā€™s slump but itā€™s not encouraging. Will give it a few more hours just in case it kicks in.

I was having constant crashes because it really REALLY is a ball buster on your cpu, causing it to overheat (90C+!) on my system and actually reboot my PC when the game would CTD. I thought it was the nvidia driver so I installed the hotfix. Turns out I needed to run my liquid coolerā€™s software to get my radiatorā€™s fans running faster and problem solved. I used Geforce Experience to optimize it and it actually runs and looks really good (with DLSS enabled at 4K, I presume). Unfortunately I donā€™t really like the game after a couple of hours lol

I also have CTDs during cutscenes, even on Medium, so I just go through those on Low then bump things back up. Iā€™m not too bothered as, as you say, the gameā€™s biggest weakness is the constrained (and repetitive) environments. Fixing the crashes wouldnā€™t help that :) But I expected that going in from a PS3 title and Iā€™m enjoying Ellie and those Sony production values.

So those environments do get switched up a bit as thing progress, which is cool.

Todayā€™s patch either made a big difference or is a very good placebo. Can now run at High with no crashes. Ultra also runs, but perf is a bit lower.

And done - 17 hours, with the little flashback chapter. Lot of fun. Will certainly play sequel if it ever shows up.

Finally finished the main game. It got better and opened up somewhat once I got past those first couple of hours. I do consider it overrated though itā€™s still a good game. Itā€™s heavily story-centric and even on Hard the enemies are dumber than a bottle of dill pickles (it takes at least 5 seconds for an enemy to see you then decide youā€™re real, unlike, say, the Far Cry or Thief games where enemies react almost instantly, so combat and stealth are not the gameā€™s strong pointsā€¦ at all). Some fun obstacle puzzles and I enjoyed that aspect of the game, and the swimming puzzles were especially good, imo.

Itā€™s also the only game with combat I ever played, I think, with no end game boss or big final combat sequence. I enjoyed my time with it and it was exactly the right length (had it been just a few minutes longer I might have gotten disgruntled). As it stands Iā€™m taking a break on the major DLC.

If it helps, the major DLC is only 90 min long or soā€¦ it can easily be completed in a single session. I felt the same way ā€“ didnā€™t want to get into it right away, but in the end, I was glad that I did because it ties some of the story together, especially if youā€™ve watched the TV show.

Yeah, I felt the same way. I didnā€™t really want to get into the DLC after finishing the game. I just started the DLC to see what it was like, but ended up playing all the way through it and really enjoying it.

The DLC did have the hair bug for me, so maybe one reason to hold of for a bit. Unless those girls really use a LOT of hair product :)

Last of Us in first person

Every game should have a PC versionā€¦even if it launches, ehm, imperfect