The Last of Us - Naughty Dog's Next

Can someone with the remasters for PS5 tell me if they redid the mocap animation for higher fidelity or are just using the same from the PS3 version?

Regardless of the actual requirements, I like this way of specifying what each level of performance corresponds to.

PC version out nowā€¦

No reviews anywhere :/

Take one for the team, Alistair!

Lot of Steam complaints about crashes and performanceā€¦ I think I can wait for the inevitable patch. Iā€™ve somehow been sucked into a Witcher playthrough anywayā€¦

The port seems fine, but the initial shader compilation is fairly brutal - it requires more than 16GB RAM plus 12GB Swap - it crashed. Once I increased swap to ā€œlet system decideā€ shader comp went fine, but still took some 20-30 minutes.

When in game, all worked fine, looked great. The game is very heavy though - initially I played in ultra preset, 4K, dlss balanced and it seemed to keep 60 no problem, but after about an hour I reached a place where framerate dipped to 50 so I had to drop preset to high.

Thatā€™s rendering under 1440p, which isnā€™t great. Of course it depends on your hardware, but the PS5ā€™s 60fps performance mode renders at 1440p and that would be my minimum target. I have no doubt Digital Foundry will have recommended settings to get TLOU under control.

I do not think PS5 is running ultra preset, probably.
But yeah, relative to PS5 hardware the game is no doubt heavier on PC.
I have 5800X3D and 3080Ti.

The game looks great even with DLSS on performance though. So far I played two hours and no issues - no crashes, no bugs, framerate 60.

But thatā€™s enough for me, since I am in the middle of RE4.

I will replay TLOU when Part 2 comes out on PC too and I can play them back to back.

DLSS performance is actually internally rendering at a whopping 1080p. Your 3080ti should do better than that, unless ultra is super aggressive or something.

Yes I know what it is rendering at. It is even written in the menu :)
I am playing on 1080p plasma so the combination of 1080p native render plus DLSS upscale to 4K and downscale to 1080p via DSR still results in clean, sharp and stable picture.

Yeah, pretty nice that itā€™s included. It certainly does take a bit for the initial shader build.

Recorded some gameplay with framerate visible and unlocked vsync to show how exactly the game performs (although few frames less due to shadowplay):

I feel bad for Naughty Dog, in my experience the port is good, only really the initial shader compilation is strange (too long and extremely CPU temperature heavy).

But if other people are having some big issues caused by the game then hopefully ND will manage to resolve them.

Overall perception of the port is abjectly negative now. Itā€™s widely seen as a crappy job.

Yes, and that sucks. They put shit ton of work into it. The amount of graphical options alone shames most PC only games.

None of that matters when it performs poorly, shrug. One guy said it takes an entire hour to compile the shaders on a steam deck, and thatā€™s half of your refund window gone right there.

If true, thatā€™s insane.

Well I wouldnā€™t say it performs poorly - once the shader compilation is done.

But yeah the shader compilation is problematic and shouldnā€™t be anywhere near as long as it is.

Horizon Zero Dawn stumbled out of the gate as a PC port, but it ended up as my personal GoTY. TLoU is an established property, and Iā€™m certain itā€™ll have long legs, especially on the heels of the adapted series, as they shake the bugs out.

Iā€™m stoked to finally play the game; I only briefly dabbled with it on consoles. It looks and plays great, but w/ a 4090 my experience is not typical.

Yeah, Iā€™d be shocked if ND shoved this out the door and then didnā€™t go through multiple patches to sort out performance issues.

HZD did that long shader compile at the beginning too but patched it out later to load in the background