The Limits of Rational Discourse

Just musing and trying to clarify some thoughts I’ve had on political discourse for a while… any help in further clarifying much welcomed.

Looking over at Brad Wardell’s blog today, I came across a couple of things that had me thinking. See:

http://draginol.joeuser.com/article/361106/So_many_reasons_to_be_against_government_controlled_health_care

and:

http://draginol.joeuser.com/article/361064/This_is_an_example_of_why_Obama_creeps_me_out

Both of these contain arguments that strike me as being profoundly wrong, but there’s a crucial difference of type between them. The first argument is about why healthcare should be privately insured and why government involvement would be bad. The second argument suggests that because Obama is closely associated with a logo, he is like Hitler, who was also closely associated with a logo.

If I had the time and inclination, I could write a long essay explaining why I disagree with the first proposition. And I think I could do it in a way that would be recognised by people who disagree with my position as being based on reason. That is, they could make an argument against my position based on the content of what I had to say. This process is what I think of as being “rational discourse”, and even though it’s very slow and there’s a lot of disagreement about how best to do it and we may never agree or we may make only the most painfully tiny progress towards agreement, it seems to me like an important thing to do. It’s kind of a way of… acknowledging and dealing with differences in a “community of ideas” that we all, in some sense, belong to. Whatever you believe, millions of people out there believe you’re wrong, but to a greater or lesser extent, you have to live with those people.

The second argument, though… I mean, I can talk about weak analogies or affirming the consequent or whatever kind of rational argument I want to make against it, but at the end of the day, I don’t feel like doing any of that stuff, because it just makes me angry. And I suspect it comes out of anger, as well. You know, is it Mencken who said, “someone you like spills soup in your lap and it’s charming, but someone you hate enrages you by the way he holds his spoon”? I forget the person and the exact words, but the sentiment strikes me as true. I see it in myself when I get ticked off at Bush for saying “nyookyoolar”. It’s a word, people pronounce it different ways, who gives a fuck? That would be the rational attitude, but someone I dislike “mispronounces” it and suddenly it’s a big deal.

…and also I think the difference between the two arguments is frequently misunderstood as being about intelligence. We all like to show off how smart we are and so we attack the first argument as being “dumb” and the second argument as being “really really dumb”, but to me it seems that’s totally off the mark. The second argument seems to me to be something that has virtually nothing to do with intelligence at all. Anyone who can program the AI in GalCiv is not dumb. So I think this sort of… discourse exists on a plane where intelligence is not even relevant, and… rational explanations of what is wrong with it are… attacks on the wrong thing.

…anyway, it seems like a lot of the time on the internet that second type of argument is the one that people make, and respond to. It’s the stuff that there is no meaningful response to that gets the biggest response. And as a leftist I feel quite comfortable in saying that this is one respect, at least, in which the left differs very little from the right. It’s like that C.S. Lewis thing about wanting “the enemy” to be as bad as possible to justify hating them as much as possible.

What I’ve tried to do (often unsuccessfully) in approaching this sort of stuff is to just ignore arguments of the 2nd type wherever they occur, on whatever side of politics… and to participate as much as I have energy and time and patience for in arguments of the 1st kind. But… I wish there was something more I could do. It seems hopeless sometimes to “just ignore it” because… it has such a powerful kind of energy to it, it seems to overwhelm everything else. And I also… feel inclined to say something about it when it’s on “my” side of the political fence, because… I feel invested in how grown-up “we” are able to be about this stuff, I guess.

I guess partly what I’m hunting around for is just a word or some terminology to encapsulate what the difference between the two kinds of discourse is that doesn’t boil down to “smart v dumb” or even “rude v polite”, that… accurately labels what the “planar difference” is between them.

tl;dr: How do we talk to people we disagree w/ without it devolving into a pointless slanging match?

I read a really great piece in Scientific American many years ago and it’s thesis was that it’s not enough just to become smarter because smarter people are often just better at creating rationalizations for believing the things they want to believe.

IMO, a lot of this comes down to exposing people to new experiences and other contexts. Years of rational discourse can’t accomplish what we can get with just a day of walking in someone else’s shoes. For me, universal healthcare is obvious. However I might be swayed by some of the type 1 and type 2 arguments if I hadn’t lived abroad and experienced it first hand.

I hope that doesn’t seem too tangential. I just think that the real cure for these type 2 arguments (and a lot of the type 1’s) is forcing people to confront their fears and irrationalities head on. For example I think that we get a lot of really shitty type 2 arguments about homosexuality and issues like gay marriage. However I’m hopeful that this will change with time because I think that our younger generation is growing up with too much exposure to gay culture to be able to rationalize the ideas of their parents.

It’s the stuff that there is no meaningful response to that gets the biggest response.

P.S. Definitely. This stuff is especially true in contexts like these very forums and even among people who I imagine are very thoughtful and conscientious in real life. It’s the nature of these conversations. Suppose someone says 9 reasonable things and 1 unreasonable thing. Odds are I’m going to just fixate on the unreasonable thing because that’s something where I have something to say (“ha ha, you’re stupid”). Reasonable discourse is, sadly, quite boring most of the time and we don’t get a nice juicy buzz off merely agreeing with someone. The most popular causes have always been those with a lot of righteous indignation behind them.

I’ve recommended Al Gore’s book on this exact subject more than once (here, actually, I think). It is something of an anti-Bush screed in parts, but fairly justified. More then that, it’s a pretty effective condemnation of how the mass media is destroying our national capacity for rational debate, and how less standard media (such as the Internet) can help fill the gap.

This is one of the theoretical questions pertaining to a branch of Philosophy called “Social Epistemology”. I was in fact reading a few papers about it these days that might be of interest:

http://www.ling.rochester.edu/~feldman/papers/reasonable%20religious%20disagreements.pdf

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/archive/00002940/01/refdis.pdf

Wow, no wonder Tom banned Brad. Seriously, Hitler comparisions based on a logo?

I guess partly what I’m hunting around for is just a word or some terminology to encapsulate what the difference between the two kinds of discourse is that doesn’t boil down to “smart v dumb” or even “rude v polite”, that… accurately labels what the “planar difference” is between them.

One’s an argument, one is anger that you position is being threatened so you come up with a short-circuit non-argument rationalization.

Wait, what? Brad was banned? We’ve known he was batshit crazy politically - I mean so fucking crazy he makes Desslock’s views look well thought out, entirely rational, and without flaw or issue - but he’s been a great gaming poster here for, well, ever. Are you sure he was banned?

Brad Wardell still shows up in the user list, and he certainly hasn’t posted anything banworthy during his last appearance in the Demigod list, so I think Jason was just kidding.

I agree. And I don’t think he’s banned.
He’s been keeping out of P&R and it was contained crazy in the latest thread on crunch and game companies, but he was a recent(ish) guess with Tom on Troys podcast and when he writes about games or Windows he’s perfectly resonable and as lesslucid says, intelligent… which makes a post like that logo-insanity so much harder to fathom.

Those posts linked make me think less of Brad… perhaps that says more about me than him, but creepy Godwin’d logos? Jeez… that’s just dumb.

Wooaah… I’ve been watching 10 “Big Bang Theory” episodes on the trot and I totally just heard Sheldon’s voice in my head when I read that line!

You know what’s really sad? I’m quite inclined to consider your observation as a compliment.

And when it comes to politics everyone involved is operating with incomplete information. People disagree as to whose set of information is better?

For the logo issue? Give us precedent for a personal logo in american politics? Are they de rigueur these days?

I see now. Make cool logos = fascism. WHY HASN’T THIS BEEN EXPLAINED TO ME BEFORE?!

The post by Island Dog on the logo blog (visually comparing Obama’s branding to Hitler’s) cracks me up.

If you really want to dissect Brad’s political views I think we should start with the fact he chose a Thalan as his avatar on his blog. These productive bug-people expand quickly, multiply and build factories really fast. I might freak out if he was aligning himself with the Dominators, or the Snathi, but the Thalan? Pfft.

It generated quite a bit of controversy back in the day. I guess being from here helps one know what a departure it is from the typical “american presidental campaign” logo.

And it’s kind of an interesting choice as a counterpoint to his first argument. The logo caught some heat for using techniques that trigger an emotional response.

So before we tear your retarded argument apart, let’s be clear: you’re referring to this logo, correct?

Typical weak bullshit from a Republican.

Holy shit. Managing to Goodwin yourself in the second sentence is… erm… well… holy shit.

That logo? I thought he meant this one:

Heh, I don’t think it matters. Put Obama under that instead of Stardock and I’m sure the wingnuts will manage to cook up something crazy.