The Long Dark (aka Gah...Wolves!)

Thanks for the tips. That was me, freezing to death while chasing rabbits like a moron because I thought that was required. I figured the story mode would introduce me to the basics at the beginning, but clearly I need to rethink my approach. I will regroup and try again, though the vertigo-inducing visual effects may be a dealbreaker unless it is easy enough to avoid that weakened state during regular gameplay.

Typically when I get in that state, if I can’t remedy it very quickly it’s a death spiral anyway. I don’t think I’ve ever had to run around for any period of time more than a few minutes in that state and gotten it back. And I get the hurls badly, and and definitely when this happens.

That certainly makes me feel hopeful about giving the game another shot. Amazing how effective that hurl mode is, damn. Maybe I will skip the story mode or just play it on easy as an introduction before trying the survival mode.

That was helpful, thanks!

March blog update and Episode 3 news.

https://www.thelongdark.com/news/dev-diary-march-2019/

I fired this up a few times in the last couple days. It’s a good update actually. I haven’t used the revlolver in a wolf attack yet but it promises to help with the frustration of losing the game on a random-chance event. This game is still recommended by me, and I haven’t even tried the new and improved quest mode.

How should a newb start? Pilgrim or Voyageur or Stalker or Interloper?

Start on Pilgrim or Voyageur until you get the mechanics down. A big part of the game is learning the maps, which you won’t do much of in stalker or loper, as you will probably die the first day lol. It’s also not a bad game to watch a few let’s plays of, as there are a few obtuse game mechanics.

The biggest difference between Pilgrim and Voyageur is that animals are hostile in VG.

Thanks. I started on Voyageur. And died after eating some raw, rancid meat.

Onward!

There are so many ways for this game to kill you :)

Good watch, suggested by @KristiGaines

I’m going to play this for the first time. Which mode do you suggest? The story?

Story isn’t finished yet. So go survival mode.

Wait what? It doesn’t say it’s early access. I’m confused.

Only Episodes 1 and 2 are finished (redux). Episode 3 is done but being remastered (redux), episodes 4 and 5 aren’t out yet.

Survival. As easy as you can make it. Do your homework if it gets tough and watch some let’s play videos.

It’s a great game but it can be very unforgiving for the new player. Watching others will teach you a ton of small tips that literally extend your life in game. This isn’t an easy survival game. It’s closer to realistic than others, and a touch more to give it urgency. But it’s endearing at parts as you learn. “I caught a fish!” “I defended myself!”“I made new clothes!”

Do you all prefer mouse and keyboard or gamepad? The M/KB seems really touchy even turned way down.

Yep, play survival mode. You’ll make your own full, emergent story just by trying not to die.

Play a few games on Pilgrim difficulty, on the Mystery Lake map.

Then take the difficulty up to Voyageur mode, the second step up. This one offers a reasonable – but still VERY difficult challenge. But it isn’t as brutally punishing as the two top difficulties. And on Voyageur, wildlife will come after you.

This is an amazing game experience. Have fun.

I use a gamepad.

Cool thanks!