The Long Dark (aka Gah...Wolves!)

New update!

Oh no, about time to reinstall this yet again lol.

Yesss… I’ve been waiting for this one =)
The last chapter of Wintermute was pretty good. I have been waiting to see some of the new stuff make it to survival.

Oh crap. Too many games right now! Urge to reload, rising.

I’m considering starting a game on Easy and just exploring the new region, cat on lap, as part of a chilled out weekend/pre-Christmas gaming session. I was looking for directions to the new area online and came across these topographic maps for the different regions:

Quite nice if you’re into that type of thing.

Man, I wish I’d read this thread before downloading this via Gamepass on a whim and starting a story mode game because that’s what it looked like the menu wanted me to do. Fuck me that’s a terrible introduction to the game and the save issue is still not fixed. What a waste of an evening.

As someone who has also has also just downloaded via Gamepass… what’s the smart move then? Bless me with your hard won experience :)

I am confused what is happening?

Either play it on survival mode mode, which is what people who have actually played it will say, or don’t play it at all, which is what I’m going to do, because I don’t really like survival games.

It’s fantastic in either challenge or survival mode. The story mode is the worst possible introduction to the game. It really shines as a ‘see how far you can make it’ survival game, but some of the challenges are excellent. I have 200 hours in it, and it’s still installed.

What @Ultrazen said. Play in survival mode on Voyageur difficulty. Pilgrim difficulty doesn’t introduce you to animals attacking you and that’s really needed if you’re going to do Story mode at any time.

I’ve played the game quite a bit and not really even dabbled into story mode.

Agreed. Doing story mode is the thing you do after Survival. And Voyageur is the best place to start. Expect to die once or twice before you get the hang of things. This game is so interesting in that it is a slow burn calming emotional experience with the immediacy of freezing to death, getting attack, or starving at any given moment. Its a surreal combo.

Or if you’re like me, a lot more than twice. Just remember it’s a bit of a, “how long can you last,” versus, “make it to the end,” when playing survival mode. That’s what it’s for. Once you get the hang of things, Story Mode will give you more of an ‘end condition’ style game around what survival introduces to you.

This game is actually really fun to play on the hardest difficulty, because you will die. Once in a while, when the stars align, and you get the right break in weather and locations you can last a while. I came to really love those max difficulty games, because they tended to be pretty short lol.

Hi Razgon, I am personally a great fan of this game because I like to play survival games because I think they are close to reality. After playing this game too much I came to practice different survival skills in this game. I want to share those points which I gathered from my personal experience.

*Navigation is the key in this game.
*Manage the resources.
*Set up Camp and be efficient.
*Prioritize tasks.
These are some general tips I want to give from my experience. Other than this, I want to say be creative and enjoy this game. Thanks

And only play in winter :p

I thought this was a great video looking into what makes Subnautica and The Long Dark so affecting (I’d add Outer Wilds to this too).

https://youtu.be/rlj0JK-CDuQ

Great video! Love both of those games for this reasoning as well.

Just started playing this for the first time ever. I got it as part of a bundle at some point, then this weekend was looking for something new and different that wouldn’t take forever to learn or finish.

Wow. Started out trying to play the story (Wintermute) and died a couple of times. Flipped over to survival mode and played on Voyager, which allowed me to learn the ropes of basic survival while exploring some cool locations, then once I was comfortable surviving for multiple days I flipped back over to Wintermute and it is MUCH easier now. Entertaining story, interesting setting, constant prioritizing of tasks and always something that needs doing, plus exploration and survival…how did I wait this long to discover this game?!