The Lord of the Rings, an Amazon joint

I find this terrifyingly likely.

You’re wrong on the title. It’ll be “Rivendell”.

Also, you find out Young Aragorn actually built Bill the PonyDroid!

So will this be done by the same people who did the Shannara series.

Stuff of nightmares, this.

I would watch the shit out of that. Sounds a thousand times more interesting than the Silmarillion.

How do I add someone to my ignore list?

Fuck. That got me good. Well played.

Ok, they appear to be starting up the marketing engine for this show.

With 2 tweets quoting the rings creation poem (3 for elves, 7 for dwarves…etc), amazon has also setup a “map exploration” mode. Haven’t given it much of a go as yet, but perhaps someone here will discover some hidden nuggets!

The naming of the regions predate the 3rd age / era the LOTR books are set in, so Gondor and Rohan don’t exist yet. That implies a 2nd Age story, which contradicts the earlier rumours that we would be seeing Aragon or other characters return (don’t think Gandalf was around either).

Amazon appears to be filling in the map a bit of a time. So we’re going to need to wait and see if they reveal Gondor to the west of Mordor.

That map sent me down a (welcome) rabbit hole of refreshing my memory of Middle Earth lore. The 2nd age is rich with different story lines and characters to explore, although only Elrond and Galadriel would be characters the audience would be familar with.

Heh, considering there is still no cast, and they’re nowhere close to filming.

I know the topography comes directly from the books, but I’ve always hated the way the mountain ranges around Mordor are set at almost right angles. It looks not at all natural.

(Queue Tolkein nerd to tell me the history of Mordor and why the mountains look like that.)

Ha! When I first read Fellowship back in 7th grade I was super annoyed with the mountains around Mordor for the same reason. Still am. By the rest of your post I assume there is some reason that makes sense in the books. But it still sticks out like a sore thumb.

Speaking of LotR lore, I really ought to finish Jeff La Sala’s terrific Silmarillion Primer series. It’s great as a refresher and for explaining what the heck was going on in the First Age and before.

https://www.tor.com/series/the-silmarillion-primer/

What, you don’t think most audiences would instantly recognize Cirdan the Shipwright? Come on, he’s one of the last people you see in the movies!

I would, but only if they pick someone who resembles the ME:TW card.

Thanks for posting this @Djscman

The writer of the primer series points out that Amazon has the rights to the LOTR - not the Silmarillion, so its unlikely to be a second age story…

https://www.tor.com/2019/02/19/where-the-stars-are-strange-a-first-look-at-amazons-middle-earth/#more-435235