The Marvel Cinematic Universe Post-Endgame

For Hawkeye, the show has introduced Maya Lopez who has a direct relationship to Kingpin, direct enough that we may have already seen the character in a flashback. That sure seems likely. But unrelated to those character connections, if you follow the casting news and set reports you may already know the show will also include Yelena Belova (Natasha’s “sister”, the new Black Widow), and adding the above-discussed Daredevil on top of all that just seems like a lot to cram into the show.

Seems more likely to me that our first appearance of the character I started todays conversation about will be Spider-Man: No Way Home based on alleged leaks that seem reasonably credible—but still not a sure thing.

Sorry for what’s getting to be a comical amount of spoiler text, but trying to keep it as safe as possible when we’re talking about several different upcoming shows and movies.

Edit: just reread your post @HumanTon, and realized you’re not necessarily saying X will also be in Y, just that it’s likely they wanted the related news story out there as X relates closely to Z, and Z is rumored to appear first in this scenario.

My guess is that we don’t see Kingpin in Hawkeye until the very end. Maybe the final scene or an end-credits scene, even.

Then we see Murdoch in Spider-Man: No Way Home and the breadcrumbs are laid for the announce of a new D+ Daredevil show for Fall 2022 or Spring 2023.

I subscribe to this theory.

The NYC Hell’s Kitchen crew from the comics was always built more for TV than film. Heck, even Reed and the Fantastic Four might be better served by a start on television with a move to film later as a larger world-threatening menace appears that they need to be involved in.

I feel like maybe all these spoilers are overkill since nothing has actually happened yet and we’re all just speculating anyway. It’s easy enough to read the comics or look up those histories and see what may be coming…

I think it’s fun that—for example—Hawkeye can hint at Maya’s past and people familiar with the characters will know who they’re likely teasing. But I’m treading extra carefully in this thread with spoilers because I don’t think making comic book connections should be expected for all viewers, and on top of that we’re talking about several different movies and shows here. We’re not even in the TV forum!

And furthermore some of these connections overlap between rumors, announcements, and “confirmed” rumors that fall somewhere in between. It’s hard to discuss them all at once and appropriately note what’s what, so yeah, I’m going overboard with caution on spoilers. I won’t get bent out of shape if someone else is more specific, but I’d rather not be the one to let slip something that someone else didn’t even realize they didn’t want to know yet.

Yeah. I get that. Maybe what we really need is a specific Marvel Spoilers thread for all the movies/TV stuff? There are a lot of us here like you and I who know the stories and what may be coming.

What @WhollySchmidt said, because I want to believe.

Damn, so much for trying to remain unspoiled! This news was immediately plastered over all the news and social media sites.

Who are we spoilering this for? We all know who Daredevil is.

They don’t need any multiversal nonsense to get DD into the MCU. He already is. The entire plot of the show was Kingpin exploiting the reconstruction after the Battle of New York. I know those shows are too R-Rated for Disney, but they can just pick up where they left off and let the fans fill in the blanks (on Netflix)

Well, I for one was hoping to NOT KNOW that a Netflix Marvel actor would show up in an MCU production. That way it’d be an excellent surprise when watching it!

That’s really the only apprehension I have about all this. Street-level superheroics just work better in my opinion when the threats are closer to real-world crime and the violence that comes with it.

My actual guess that what they’re mainly doing with the announcement is setting up Matt Murdoch for appearing in She Hulk sometime in 2022, since that is in fact the venue he’d fit best fit for an extended MCUI appearance in the next few months. However, there’s no reason Matt Murdoch couldn’t show up in any number of other places for cameos or single scenes, since that type of character has reason to show up in any number of storylines.

However, I’m also guessing that we won’t see Daredevil in costume until they have something substantial for him to do. That might be in She Hulk, or might be their own show, or something completely different.

(This is a much more pleasant and low-key form of speculation than “WAS THAT QUICKSILVER?” since it’s really just betting on whether a particular NYC professional’s path happens to cross with those of the ever-growing population of NYC superheroes; nothing multiverse-shattering depends on whether that does or doesn’t happen. It’s more like, “Oh hey, I wonder whether we’ll see ____ tonight, he sometimes hangs out at that restaurant.”)

I forgot about She Hulk and you are probably right that it makes sense for him to appear there as well.

The de facto reality thus far has been that the MCU was canon to the ABC and Netflix TV shows, but not vice versa. In particular, the Avengers movies aggressively ignored pretty much everything in Agents of Shield.

(It’s perfectly possible, especially given the whole Evan Peters fakeout, that in the future the Disney + shows will invoke the multiverse to bring us familiar actors in roles with familiar names, but who aren’t playing the exact same characters as their TV incarnations; the theory being that those TV shows were on similar but distinct worlds from MCU-prime. Hypothetical examples: a Matt Murdoch who has not yet become Daredevil, a Jessica Jones who only swears and drinks enough that she can appear on Disney +, an Iron Fist who isn’t terrible … Hmm, though they might want to recast that last one.)

That was during the Netflix era. Starting with Wandavision, all of the Marvel TV shows on Disney+ are MCU cannon and are produced by Kevin Feige.

I assume the two surviving Marvel shows on Hulu (MODOK and Hit-Monkey) do not count.

I assumed there was an implied “before Disney+” in HumanTon’s post, as he’s correctly refuting the idea that the Netflix stuff is considered MCU canon at this point, and we’re now talking about Disney+ shows as the MCU here.

Yeah sorry I meant “non-Disney + TV shows” like Daredevil, Runaways, Modok, etc.

I think Kingpin makes even more sense now, there’s ample opportunity for exploitation after The Blip. Especially if Kingpin didn’t blip, although you’d think he’d be Ronin’s first target if he didn’t. I don’t know how they’ll do it, but I have faith. Shang Chi and Eternals kind of shook my confidence in the MCU, but Hawkeye brought it back.

Nicely shown in this video on the differences between the IMAX enhanced version and the 4K Bluray version.