The Marvel Cinematic Universe Post-Endgame

Woah, that is insane. Since I don’t think there’s a way to watch these shows on physical media, they might just be gone forever.

Interesting. I didn’t know Netflix shows could leave Netflix.

At least in the US anyway. I know in some regions, there’s a section of more adult fare in Disney+ that carries Fox, Touchstone, Weinstein, etc movies and shows. I guess these shows could go there, but in the US, Disney+ is 100% siloed as a family-safe entertainment platform.

Well, if DIsney has the rights to stream those shows, they would just go on Hulu. Who knows if that’s the case though.

They don’t own the Marvel license, and clearly the deal had an expiration date.

I don’t think that will happen either in the US. Disney seems intent on keeping Star Wars and Marvel media “on brand” in Disney+.

Yeah, similar to why HBO can’t have Tales from The Crypt even though it’s their own show.

I like the idea of releasing them on DVD. I personally found these shows mind-numbingly boring, so I figured it would be in Marvel’s interest to not allow people access to their most boring shows anymore. But boring is in the eye of the beholder, so the people who loved the show could still buy it on disc, seems like the perfect win-win for everyone.

Disney still allows the MODOK and Hit Monkey shows on Hulu. Whether they would make new Marvel or Star Wars shows anywhere other than Disney+ remains to be seen (I think the deals to produce those shows both predate the Disney+ world we live in now), but there is some precedent for non-MCU Marvel properties on Hulu in the US.

Both of those debuted in 2021. Netflix’s Marvel shows are much older than that.

Also, Disney owns most of Hulu (or maybe it’s all of Hulu at this point).

Edit: Disney owns 66% of Hulu. Comcast owns the remaining 3rd, but can force Disney to buy their shares in 2024. Likewise, Disney can force Comcast to sell their shares at fair market value at that time.

Hit Monkey and MODOK were both started by Marvel Television before that got folded into Marvel Studios (I think they were announced in 2019). So while they only premiered last year, they’re similar to the Netflix shows in that they’re not officially part of the MCU canon, and they weren’t originally developed by Marvel Studios.

And they were moved under the oversight of Marvel Studios before they were released, but not moved onto the Disney+ platform. Which is why I don’t know if it’s likely, but it’s not out of the question that Disney would allow the non-MCU, non-Marvel Studios produced Netflix shows to move to Hulu.

Yeah, that seems possible, especially since Charlie Cox is the MCU’s Daredevil.

BTW nobody should be expecting the Netflix Marvel shows to move to Disney + (in the US, anyway): Disney + only shows things that are PG-13 or below.

This deal expired in late 2020. So we had an extra year or so to get around to finishing Iron Fist.

Well this is frustrating. There are a couple of later seasons I never got around to watching, and it doesn’t seem likely that I’ll get to them before March 1. As much as people talk about our new streaming future, these are the drawbacks that bug me to no end.

Edit: I don’t know if this is a comfort to anyone but me, but apparently you can buy the individual seasons of all the Marvel Netflix shows on Amazon Video and other streaming services. (Assuming you don’t want to resort to wicthcraft, of course.)

I stand corrected! Apparently all of the Netflix shows are indeed coming to Disney+ (along with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), but with some sort of checkbox to allow mature content!

Now that those shows are on Disney, I’ve crossed all my fingers and toes for new seasons. I would love to see more Punisher for example.

I hope this means we can start seeing other more mature stuff in Disney+ soon as well!

Yeah, it’s a little strange that Disney literally owns the entire Fox library, but you can’t have (for example) Alien or Predator movies on Disney+ because of the R ratings.

It’s kind of funky they’re coming to Disney Plus, as the assumption was that they’d show up on Hulu, which has more adult content, but maybe it sounds like Disney really just wants to consolidate all their branded properties on D+. They’re also installing new parental controls to supplement that.

— Alan

I think it makes sense and frankly it’s kind of overdue. I remember when Disney+ came out and someone said “Finally you can get everything owned by Disney in one place!” …Yeah, everything not rated R.