The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Well, I mean, that’s part of the problem. We’re judging a stand-up set from the 50s after another 60 years of development of the craft. And you’re basically saying “why isn’t she as good as Lenny Bruce”, literally the only stand-up from the time that still, well, stands up.

Hm, maybe. But now you’re doubling down on the “realistic historical portrayal” angle. I think we’re meant to think she’s as much of a revelation as her audience thinks she is. (Aren’t people making bootleg records of her performances and stuff?)

Whatever. It’s a minor objection to a fantastic and delightful show.

I mean, she is a revelation compared to most of the other comics the show features. Just not Bruce.

Loved Season 1, just started watching Season 2. Great episode…

Except the whole “French stand up via translator” was so unbelievable and well…dumb that I had to fast forward through it. First time something on the show just fell completely flat for me. Hope it stays in stride the rest of the Season.

Season 2 is a bit more gonzo than the first season, but that segment is the worst of it. (And yeah, it was pretty bad.) It’s still a good show.

I love this show, but I absolutely hated that scene. Fortunately, that was the only thing that didn’t work for me in season 2.

Midge Breaks LA!

I disagree with this. Free press releases of people desperate for Midge is exactly what was planned.

Amazon isn’t stupid enough to think 30 cent gas wouldn’t cause hysteria or gridlock. Another example of corporations toying with public safety just to promote a fucking tv show. This shit seems apathetic at best and maliciously greedy at worst.

Finished Season 2. Show is still fantastic, and clicks with me. But I came to the realization that I just don’t like her standup. Brosnahan is a great actor, and funny in scenes, but I don’t like her standup. Falls flat for me. That’s Ok. Funny is a very particular thing, and a matter of taste.

I think this might be my favorite show on TV, but I agree about the stand-up. If you want to commiserate, you can read my similar complaints higher in the thread.

Finally got around to the last three eps a couple of nights ago. Great stuff.

I would really love an Abe and Rose spinoff.

Gilmore Girls stans will be happy to hear that Liza Weil (i.e. Paris Geller) will be appearing in the upcoming season:

Watched the first episode (of season 1) last night with the wife. When the guy starts doing the “Abe Lincoln phone gag” I said, “Hey, that’s a Bob Newhart routine”. Later, that turns out to be a plot point.

You’d think she’d be impressed, but she wasn’t paying any attention. Well, I was impressed. At myself.

On behalf of all of us here at Qt3, “We’re impressed, Josh!”

Thanks, man. Means a lot.

You can pay about this here:

I watched the first (pilot) episode of the series this weekend. At the beginning I was kind of worried that I didn’t have enough Jewish cultural knowledge to watch this show. There were so many things I was just left wondering “What is that?” or “What does that mean” or “Why do they need a rabi for Yom Kippur?”, etc. But the second half of the pilot makes clear that I don’t really need that knowledge to enjoy the thrust of the show once Mrs Maisel’s life changes.

I loved it. I can’t wait to see more.

Episode 2: Wow, this show is amazing. This type of production quality, sets, writing and incredible acting is just ridiculous. The dinner with the family, the way it was filmed in looong takes with people moving between rooms and spouting the dialog the whole time, wow.