The Meg - Statham and Dwight fight a giant shark

Yeah, it’s also worth pointing out that Meg will be, much as Bruce was, just a shark-shaped monster whose behavior isn’t consistent with anything any shark has ever done. The “rogue shark” theory was in fashion back when they made Jaws but not anymore.

Yeah, there was a cool link posted in the Alien Covenant thread (I think) that goes deeply into this.

The original concept had the Xenomorph race having a super-weird life-cycle with several sexes and also dedicated incubation animals/genders. The pyramid was basically a place where the Xenomorphs would fertilize their eggs and then peacefully implant them in the hosts and welcome their young into the world. Something had gone wrong that killed all the adults, leaving the eggs to accidentally trigger on the hapless, blundering humans.

All this was too complex and too expensive to show in the movie, so it got rejiggered into what was shown after going through some intermediate phases. The Space Jockey ship was kind of implied to have stumbled onto the pyramid (before the pyramid was written out of the script), which was why they had been broadcasting the warming signal.

In the final version of the movie, some of the original “pyramid” set elements still remained (though they are shown in the egg chamber which is ostensibly in the ship), as did the Space Jockey warning beacon. None of that stuff works with Scott’s new ret-con where the Xenomorphs are the product of David’s work and no Engineer/Space Jockey is alive to get infected, much less set up the egg chamber or a warning beacon. Sigh.

You’re right, that doesn’t work anymore. I almost said that maybe the space jockey crashed with the eggs prior to his race being eliminated, but then how would he be carrying a shipload of David’s bioengineered xenomorphs beforehand? Man this is just a mess.

Just saw the trailer for this, it looks great!

The very end of the trailer makes me think this thing doesn’t need to but anyone, just swallow them. The rest of it, well I will definitely have popcorn for this experience.

We shot or even did a lot of visual effects for [gory scenes] ,” Turteltaub said. “ We just realized there’s no way we’re keeping this PG-13 if we show this. It’s too fun a movie to not let people who don’t like blood and people who are under, say, 14 years old into the theater. I was very hesitant to cut out a lot of blood and gore. I wouldn’t have if I thought it was wrecking the story but it wasn’t. It still looked okay. I’ll sit down privately with your audience and take them through some really nasty shit .”

Me, wait this isn’t about getting as much blood into the water as possible… great!

It’s more about getting as many 14 year old into the theater as possible. Which I doubt will happen.

Yeah, they said that, but I also don’t like gross just for gross’ sake. I’ll take it. All the reviews say this is a bad movie… imagine my surprise. I can’t wait to say this is a bad movie myself.

Seems that review Critics are in the know. There can be only one hit shark movie this month.

There’s another shark movie this month?

Well I am back from dinner and a movie, and this movie is just, well boring is a good word for it but bland also works.

So a few things that became obvious within the first 20 minutes or so, there is some sort of Chinese company behind this movie or they really, really, really want to cater to the Chinese audience. This would have been fine if they weren’t so obvious about it and it didn’t feel like the Chinese actors and actresses were in another movie. The little girl was actually delightful and Jason Statham is well him, but that’s not enough. The cast is too big, and they try to make them unique which just results in a mismatch of odd individuals on the screen as xyz expert which still cause them to suffer from Prometheus syndrome… aka, these idiots are supposed to be scientists… crossed my mind more than once.

I had some questions answered about the shark I saw on the trailer, so I was pleasant surprised to get those questions. There is some suspense. Gore was pretty darn minimal, seemed even even for a PG-13, and the throwbacks to Jaws were… okay.

So, not good in my book but when I look at the list of Jason Statham movies I’ve seen, with him as the main lead, the draw, and I think I’ve only seen one… Death Race, and wasn’t a fan of that either.

I should mention there were several moments where they could have added exciting if a bit predictable action scenes and shots and… just didn’t. I don’t know why they didn’t. It would have been fun which is more than I can say for more this movie.

Now my friends who wanted to see this movie, for Jason or the shark, yeah they said they liked it.

I was astonished when I read that this sucker cost $178 million (plus another $140m in advertising costs). What the fuck?!! Apparently it’s a Chinese co-production with 51% of the budget coming from the Chinese company.

You wouldn’t be surprised if you saw it though. The visuals are not really part of the problem with this movie, and the Chinese presence/influence is notable. You don’t even have to read about it. It’s very obvious when watching.

I finally saw this with my son; it was… not as bad as I expected. The movie didn’t take itself too seriously, and I thought the Chinese influence was refreshing; the whole thing had a kind of Hollywood-adjacent vibe.

Finally managed to pull this out of my Netflix backlog to watch it, and I guess The Meh would be an appropriate title. To me it felt like a ‘stupid fun movie’ that forgets to be fun. I don’t think it should have been campy and corny like the stuff you know from The Asylum, but the movie seemed to take itself a bit too seriously for what it was.

Bland.

You’re really resilient to get through it. I’ve tried watching it a few minutes at a time a few times, but it’s so boring. I just want to watch it because I think there’s a Qt3 movie podcast on the movie, so that will be my reward if I can get through it somehow.

This is intriguing I suppose?!

Shark so big , it swallows Hawaii ?