The most palindrome thing you'll see all week: Tenet

These are great ideas, but will there be incomprehensible plots, characters you don’t care about and music so loud you can’t hear the dialogue? The standard must be upheld.

I will never use subtitles on an english movie. I’m 51, not 81. If the director thinks a sound mix that prioritizes cool over actual ability to hear the fucking dialogue is a good trade-off, he can fuck right off.
If I ever meet christopher nolan, I will follow him around for a day and yell PAAARRRRPPP! at random intervals into his ears to make my point.

I just watch the pretty pictures. If I want interesting agglutinations of words, I open a book.

I watched this movie and was very disappointed by its simplicity.
Dunkirk is a way better puzzle, on every single aspects.

One twist i was hoping was for Evil Brannagh to become evil because of the mess they made manipulating time and thinking he was the threat. nope, he was just eviiiiiil. Maybe Tom is right and what is missing from this is Austin Powers.
I miss that little movie with the two dudes and their time coffin. That one was terrifying.

Yes, it is now and probably will forever be the best time travel movie.

Well maybe not forever, but it will be an incredibly high bar to clear, and a tentpole movie is never going to do it.

I am unsure what this means, but i have a very funny image in my mind that I’ll stick to.

Actually, I was hoping someone could refresh my memory with the name of that movie, because I seemingly can’t ever remember it!

I think they are talking about Primer. Unless they meant “phone booth” instead of “coffin”.

It was me already, and much thanks!

(i think i also got the phone booth reference, and should be awarded British lordship for this)

Finally got around to seeing this last night. And while it kept me interested and I could enjoy the ride even as I started to lose what exactly was going on (and it felt cool when things would sort of come together as in the second airport/pentagon scene) it ended up leaving me annoyed more than anything. The final battle was just godawful. Except for the explosions and time-whiney shit, it felt like a season finale of the A-Team. Just dudes and dudettes somehow in 10 minutes rushing uphill during a firefight against Russian mercenaries (I’m guessing cuz I think I saw maybe a half dozen of the bad guys total) and making it to whatever their mission point was (again, for the main group I think they were just to provide cover for the Protagonist and Suddenly Super Important Time Army Dude to race down a hole and trip an amazingly non-lethal booby trap only to end up in a wrestling match over a kno)t. Was the knot holding the Time-aguffin from falling? Why did this matter since there were bombs all around anyway? Did Protagonist forget Edward had just died for them to open a gate that led to the Knot Wrestle match? Cuz he sure seemed surprised when he saw the little red cord on Edward a bit later, even though he seemed like he recognized it/him down in the hole.
Did the Red Timers and Blue Timers ever meet to go over their respective assaults? I had to watch the Pitch Meeting to figure how how and what Edward was doing during the fight. I mean, I knew what he did and knew he was in the honking truck when I first saw it. But I’m not totally sure how he knew what he needed to do since he didn’t even meet anyone during the Temporal Pincer maneuver. Really, the last battle was just so silly while being played so serious that I just couldn’t anymore. No bad guys to be seen. A boring palette of olive and brown a total ‘hills around Los Angeles’ vibe that was shot at high noon so not even any interesting visuals.

Edward was freaking great. And despite being totally run off the road in the final act, I’ll be there if they ever actually do a Tenet: The Early/Late Years::A Protagonist/Edward Story.

Now to go read thru the Tenet threads and maybe watch a youtube or two to figure out WTF.

Welcome to the Pattinson fanclub \(^o^)/

Everyone was saying it was terrible, so I fully assumed I’d hate it, but man, once I dared myself to watch it, I ended up loving that fricken movie.

I completely get why it’s too silly for some people, it is a pretty wild gimmick, definitely the funniest time travel shtick I can remember seeing, but I don’t think it’s goofier than Inception, and I just really thought the whole mood worked. I was totally hooked from start to finish.

I came down on the exact opposite side on John David Washington. I thought you could sense that there was a lot going under the surface, and it was a learned impassiveness. I loved that he was affected by the work, as opposed to someone who just loves having his teeth fucked up by the FSB, and gets over that with a wisecrack and a Martini.

Even when he was trying to be funny and charming it felt like he was doing it in spite of himself. It was so sad, I loved that!

There were two things that kinda bothered me. I thought the final battle was kinda humdrum, but I think it was intentionally humdrum to keep the focus on the shenanigans playing out with the timelines, and I really hated the broken marriage track, and thought they completely wasted miss Debicki.

I guess she’s in the early-Theron phase of her career where she only gets to play a damsel or someones meek wife.

100% aboard the Robert Pattinson train. Also thought Aaron Taylor-Johnson killed it.

Well, you could argue that Princess Diana was someone’s wife, but I don’t know about meek.

And while Virginia Wolf was married, I don’t think anything thinks of her as someone’s wife!

Debicki has been going pretty strong for the ten years she’s been working. She was great as the lead in a New Zealand mystery series called Kettering Incident. And she was white hot with Tom Hiddleston as the romantic lead in Night Manager. At least I think she was. Hiddleston was blindingly sexy in Night Manager, so maybe I’m just attributing some of it to her.

But I get what you’re saying. Love interests in Christopher Nolan movies don’t tend to get a lot to work with. :)

And if you liked John David Washington, you should definitely check out a recent Netflix thriller called Beckett.

-Tom

Oh, I was all over Kettering after you raved about it, and I totally agreed with you, she was breathtaking. Good show.

It’s been a while since I watched the Night Manager, I should probably revisit that, but wasn’t she the damsel in distress, sorta like she was in Tenet?

I was mostly thinking of Widows and Tenet. I don’t think she’s getting a lot to work with there. I wanna see her do meaty stuff!

I actually did consider watching The Crown purely on account of her.

Can do, buckaroo.

I’m not sure I’m right about him, but I’ve enjoyed him in Ballers, BlacKkKlansman and now Tenet. I’d like to see him do something heavier too.

More complicated than that, but her Tenet and Night Manager roles are so similar Tenet is basically plagiarizing Night Manager.

The Burnt Orange Heresy. Watch it if you want more Debicki.

Tenet is a temporal pincer movement from the future against the past, with the focus on a present day protagonist. What is so confusing?

I thought Debicki was quite good in “The Tale” as well, that was the first film I think I saw her in, outside GOTG2

Haha! Honestly, I didn’t find that confusing at all. My feeling was “Holy crap, I can’t believe he made a movie built around THIS gimmick!”.

I thought it was way sillier, and way more risky than Inception, which already takes a lot of crap for it’s gimmick. But I bought into Inception, and I completely buy into this now.

He really came up with the dumbest form of time travel that I can remember seeing, and the movie barely spared a thought for things like paradoxes.

But I love that choice, because it meant the movie didn’t have to waste a bunch of time trying to explain the science. He really just wanted to play with this fun, outrageous gimmick.

Who doesn’t. Thank you!

Thanks to this bump, I finally watched Tenet and it was just as I expected. Worth watching (barely) for the craft but the concept didn’t work at all for me. I couldn’t even tell when things were going backwards or forwards or forwards/backwards or backwards/forwards. Fortunately, I didn’t care. This had pretty much everything I didn’t like about Memento writ large with $$$. (But I definitely liked Inception and Interstellar.)

No way, Memento is the best.

Short-term memory loss assassin who intentionallly lies to himself to break the chain of hits by marking his dirty cop handler as the next target for the win.