The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Pretty weird :p

— Alan

Apparently there were tornadoes about 20 miles from my house today (Touched down in Northfield, MN) and my wife and kids at home didn’t even know there were severe storms in the area. Seems to be clear now, just hot and muggy with dew points in the mid-70s. Ick.

Hey, I know people in Northfield! Several relatives, in fact (Oles, all).

Thunderstorms rolling through LA and the Southland all day, with lots of heavy rain, lightning, and a bunch of lightning-caused brush/grass/forest fires. And it’s been pretty hot too I hear (much hotter than here generally, and we’ve had high humidity too).

Also, the hotter weather in southern California is drawing in stingrays like crazy to some beaches–over a one day period today a beach near San Diego reported 75 stingray stings. That’s quite a bit.

— Alan

Thanks, Arthur.

Do earthquakes count as weather? We NEVER get anything that strange in suburban Maryland, yet I was woken up by a 3.6-caliber earthquake at five a.m. Is this the apocalypse?

An Earthquake on the East Coast? Inconceivable!

Yeah, yeah, California boy. No, seriously, though, it happened. Nothing appears to have been damaged, at least.

Today had the loudest thunderstorm I’ve ever heard in Japan. It sounded like the North Koreans invading in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Well there is an EARFQUAKE thread here as well. Earthquakes are not completely uncommon for the northeast, however. The probability of a strong earthquake in, say, Manhattan, is actually quite good, relatively speaking.

— Alan

Another day of Moderate Risk for Central to South Minnesota on Saturday.

AS LARGE SCALE HEIGHT FALLS OVERSPREAD THE UPPER MIDWEST DURING THE
LATE AFTERNOON/EVENING HOURS…TSTMS SHOULD INCREASE IN EARNEST BY
LATE AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING WITHIN THE AFOREMENTIONED CORRIDOR.
CONSIDERABLY VEERING WIND PROFILES AND A VERY MOIST AIRMASS/STRONG
POTENTIAL INSTABILITY WILL SUPPORT EARLY MODAL SEMI-DISCRETE
SUPERCELLS WITH LARGE HAIL/SOME TORNADOES POSSIBLE. AIDED BY A
NOCTURNALLY STRENGTHENING LOW LEVEL JET/INCREASING MOISTURE
TRANSPORT REGIME…IT SEEMS PROBABLE THAT STORMS WILL GROW
UPSCALE/ORGANIZE INTO ONE OR MORE SOUTHEASTWARD MOVING SEVERE MCS/S
DURING THE EVENING…WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR DAMAGING WINDS TO
MARKEDLY INCREASE ACROSS PORTIONS OF MN INTO WI/NORTHERN IA.

— Alan

It’s raining on prom night. My hair is a mess.

Some powerful storms have brewed up in the central Minnesota and ND/SD/Minn triangle in a broad swath and are moving southeast generally, but for the bulk of these should take awhile before they get to the Minneapolis area… but there’s one isolated cell west of Minneapolis that’s produced 2 reported tornadoes and still Tornado Warned. Also moving southeast.

Anyway, activity might be heating up soon, but I figure Minny still in the clear for at least a few hours.

— Alan

That’s not rain.

Depends on the color :)

— Alan

For once, the storms missed us in Southern MN. It’s been a very whacky year. Lots of very nasty storms already. Tired of hiding out in the basement every week.

Heat bubble ftw! They passed us to the north like the do every year except least year when ah gawd a tornado touched down three blocks from my house.

Also, maybe it’s just me, but I hate when people refer to Minnesota as “Minny”. Nobody calls Massachusetts “Massy”, because it sounds freaking stupid. I wish we were extended the same courtesy.

(not a dig on you in particular, Alan, so please don’t take it that way)

Pretty much everywhere, it’s gonna be hot!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/07/18/global.weather.june/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Sorry, won’t do it again.

Was out of town so didn’t update on the weather for Monday, which had a moderate risk area for awhile in Iowa before the tornado outbreak happened in northern Missouri.

Minnesota could get more weather on Thursday.

— Alan

Moderate Risk for severe weather in the Northeast today, including Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania and Vermont, mostly from potentially damaging winds.

FAST MOVEMENT OF STORMS AND FEW CLOUDS
IN AREAS SURROUNDING THUNDERSTORMS SHOULD ALLOW
HEATING/DESTABILIZATION TO OCCUR IN THE WAKE OF THESE STORMS IN
CURRENTLY RAIN COOLED AREAS. SEVERAL ROUNDS OF THUNDERSTORMS ARE
ANTICIPATED…WITH THE FIRST PROGRESSING EWD UNDER INFLUENCE OF A
SHORT WAVE TROUGH OVER ERN NY…AND HEIGHT FALLS AND AMPLE UPPER JET
SUPPORT NOW BEGINNING TO GLANCE THE AREA FROM THE WEST. STRONG WIND
FIELD WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT BOWING SEGMENTS AND SUPERCELLULAR
STRUCTURES…WITH DAMAGING WINDS…LARGE HAIL…AND ISOLATED
TORNADOES POSSIBLE.

— Alan