The Netflix TV Show Thread

I haven’t watched past season 1 of either, but I don’t remember Stranger Things having any time shenanigans or multi-generational family drama. They’re broadly in a “weird stuff happening in a small town” genre together, I suppose.

Also, there’s never a reason for remakes but they do them anyway.

It was closer in season 1, especially early on, when the 80s was a big focus of both shows, whereas now the 80s is just one of many eras for Dark. But still, you have 80s mise-en-scene, missing kids, supernatural shenanigans, looming apocalypse.

But Stranger Things is an 80s nostalgia piece, whereas the 80s were only ever one of the settings in Dark and it’s not about evoking the 80s but demonstrating the cycles of history and exploring the changes time made to these people and their relationships. I really think the resemblance is skin deep at best.

@malkav11 speaks truth. The shows aren’t much alike at all IMHO.

Oh, I totally agree they aren’t in substance similar at all. Just that the surface similarities would dissuade a remake (also, who would do the remake? Netflix?). Certainly when Dark first aired the marketing played very heavily on the 80s stuff.

Yeah, Dark made me think it would be something like Deutschland 1983 (which I loved) and for most of the first season seemed to be heading that way. Then IMO it veered too far into implausible weirdness.

I know I’m 3 weeks late, but whyyyyy? It ended perfectly. What else is there to do?

I know…money. I just wish they could let stories exist as a really excellent single thing once in a while.

Supposedly was pitched as 3 seasons, so they have some idea I guess.

Well, maybe. It sounds a little post-hoc to me, but OK. “Oh, it’s an unexpected hit? Yeah, we meant to do 3 seasons all along, swear to god.”

We’ll see I guess.

Nah, they were saying this before it even aired. Here’s an article from January 30th, the show debuted on Feb 1st.

Since I’m subscribing to Netflix again this month, I’ve been catching up on Hasan Minaj’s Patriot Act. This Series 3 has been so good so far. All kinds of stuff I never heard about. He went into Cricket scandals, a return to the Indian election, NRA’s influence in other countries, a Malaysian scandal I’d never heard of that might actually put Goldman Sachs executives behind bars.

Sorry if there’s a dedicated thread, but fuck me Jessica Jones 3 is soooooo boooooring

I only made it two epsiodes of JJ and gave up. Turns out Fleabag was a million times more entertaining.

I will stand up for JJ 1. Second season was kinda eh. Three is just… Bad.

Whoever decided Trish was the more interesting character that the narrative should follow should be ashamed. I thought that was bad in S2, but it’s so much worse here.

Aaahhhh I only have 2.5 episodes left, I can do this, I can do this…

I think Jessica Jones 3 is a great illustration of what some people complain about in regards to the Marvel shows on Netflix; way too much filler. If the season was compressed to maybe 3 or 4 episodes, I could have enjoyed the story line much more;
(some spoilers follow)
Episode 1: introduce guy with lame powers and compromised integrity, stumble across serial killer, show Trish training/bad guy beating up montage to get across how she’s changed.
Episode 2: serial killer offs person who shall not be named, revenge attempts go sideways, neighbor with compromised integrity saves someone after things go sideways and starts path of redemption.
Episode 3: guy with lame powers feels responsible for things going sideways, starts his own path to redemption, enlists the aid of Trish much to his chagrin. He tells Jessica, they team up and he continues his redemption.
Episode 4: @#$% hits the fan, but they get the bad guy in the end with a similar wrap-up to the way the season actually ended.

That’s it. Done. To me, that wouldn’t have been bad at all.

I finally started watching 1983. 4 episodes in and it is very good. Hope it holds up.

It starts out stronger than it ends, and unfortunately there’s been no further news (the subreddit is basically dead) so I don’t think there’s a new season planned.

Ah. I wasn’t sure how well it would hold up. I don’t mind if it is only one season, but was hoping that season stayed strong.

I’ll finish it, of course. It is beautifully shot with great atmosphere, good performances and a strong story line; and lots of little details to flesh out the alternative history, e.g. President Gore marshaling coalition forces in Kuwait in 2003.

I wonder how much the fact that they knew the whole Netflix-Marvel thing was dead made everyone phone it in. I mean, there are 2 main possibilities in this situation: either you put in all your effort to go out with a bang, or you stop giving a **** and just fulfill your contractual obligations.