The Netflix TV Show Thread

I ended up bingeing all 8 of the 20 minute episodes after reading your post. Big thumbs up, looking forward to the second season. Both young actors are incredible.

I finished the show last night. It is interesting that the ending would have a very different feel if Netflix didn’t tell us in the show’s description that another season is coming.

Blown Away is a Top Chef-type reality show for glass blowing. It sounded ridiculous and I put it on because my spouse wanted something brainless while she did work and I got hooked, we watched 6 episodes this afternoon.

Ummmmmmmmmm…

Is he just going to be remaking the Sandler movies, playing all the characters by himself?

No, it’d be a return to Standup-Comedy Eddie Murphy, which is what everyone has wanted for decades. Of course, whether he still has the edge is the millions-of-dollars question.

“Ice cream! Ice cream! You don’t have none because your mom’s on welfare and your dad’s an alcoholic.”

Eddie Murphy in his prime was legendary on stage.

I mean I’m game, but I suspect it wont be what anyone wants.

Hopefully I’m wrong and you can make family-friendly content for decades and then go back to being a stand up guy, but I doubt it.

This just showed up on Netflix- a documentary on the Cambridge Analytica situation regarding the 2016 election. I’ve just started watching. Interesting stuff.

Just finished watching the Finnish show Borderliner (not to be confused with the excellent Finnish show Bordertown) and can report that the former is equally excellent. Not sure why the Scandinavians seem to be so good at dark police / crime shows, but I haven’t encountered a bad one yet.

So, after one episode, Another Life seems to be the answer to the question, “What if Arrival, but dumb?”

Sounds like Netflix should have taken a chunk of their giant pile of cash and spent it on acquiring The Expanse instead.

My wife and I watched Tuca and Bertie recently and thought it was great. A nice change of pace from the other animated series in Netflix despite the visual cues from Bojack.

Definitely recommend it , esp if you like Ali Wong

It is indeed great. Sadly they just announced it was cancelled.

I tried getting back into Bojack Horseman yesterday. It was the third episode, in which a child actress that Bojack worked with 30 years ago is now on drugs and back into Bojack’s life, looking to him as a father figure.

I don’t know if I can do this guys. It got a chuckle or two out of me at the beginning, but then it keeps repeating the same jokes over and over about how much her friends are messing up Bojack’s house. And how he’s compensating for not being a good father figure in his younger days. And then it makes the same jokes again. And then again. They take a premise and then just keep repeating themselves so they can fill an hour long episode, or however long these things are (25 minutes? Feels like an hour).

It’s soooo dumb. I’m not going to go into all of it’s problems because it’ll be a waste of space and time, but I will highlight one crucial issue:

Why the hell didn’t they install fucking chairs with maybe straps, so they won’t fall on their faces every time their spaceship wobbles.

My guess is they got rid of Chairs with seat belts when they got rid of uniforms and ranks. The show seems determined to take everything annoying about present day culture, and present that as being our future.

Tried to watch the first episode last night. It is basically The Real World in Space, except the writing is worse. And the acting is worse.

The only exception to that is Katee Sackhoff. I have to admit, if it hadn’t been for her, I wouldn’t even have made it through the 1st episode. And yet, I continued on and watched part of the 2nd episode as well last night.

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??

Bojack really gets interesting about half-way in to season 1 - that’s when it goes from a generic comedy about a washed up actor to something more introspective.

I suggest skipping to episode 7 and watching a few more to what you think.