The Netflix TV Show Thread

Yeah, I’m really looking forward to this, too. My guess is that we’re going to see more out-of-the-ring character development and interpersonal drama, but I’m hoping they don’t completely shift the focus away from wrestling. For me, it’s a neat look into a world that I’m not normally all that interested in.

For anyone watching Wentworth, I just got an email from Netflix announcing that S7 is up.

This week’s Patriot Act is about working conditions in the games industry It even features the “tighten up the graphics on level 3” clip, so this could go in like eight different Qt3 threads.

Thanks for the heads up, though: Arrrgh, my Netflix sub just ended on Friday. I suppose I could re-up for August as well just for Patriot Act. I do love the show that much. But, on the other hand, maybe I can just wait until October when I was planning to return.

I’m still planning to resub whenever the new season of Bojack comes along, personally.

For those with kids, both Ladybug and She-Ra have new episodes on Netflix.

I watched season 3 of GLOW, and while there are some great moments throughout, the season as a whole just isn’t as strong as the first two. My guess is this will be the last one.

Season 1 was weirdly magical thanks in large part to the confident storytelling and the limited scope, and they’ve lost some discipline. The overall focus has shifted away from this weird little wrestling show onto “showbiz” generally, plus a bunch of other things. S3 is scattershot. Too many plot lines are introduced and then choked off, or else never even touched again. It doesn’t breathe naturally.

Annie’s Boobs, though—and in a fun scene with some interesting subtext about staring at Annie’s Boobs.

Finished Season 1 of Black Spot/Zone Blanche and I really like it. It is sort of a mashup of a French Longmire meets something sort of like the movie The Ritual. Really like the characters of the gendarmerie, the doctor and the bar keep. Watched episode 1 of the second season last night and eager for more.

Problem with the show is the Teddy Bear character is always eating and it makes me hungry which ain’t good as I watch it late at night.

I really enjoyed this ( black spot). There’s just enough weird stuff going on that it doesn’t feel like a procedural show.

Tommy Shelby and gang are finally back. Peaky Blinders season 5 drops Oct 5. Any UK viewers get it next week.

Apparently Netflix bankrolled an Invader Zim reunion?

What a world we live in.

So glad to hear that. I loved Peaky Blinders and wondered if it would continue.

I also liked Black Spot Season 1 a lot. Season 2 is quite a bit weaker IMO.

Yeah, I read they’re going to take on Nazis. Should be something.

I hope its as good as She-Ra. Maybe a bit more mature.

If it is the “Clerks” Kevin Smith, they will be dropping the F-bomb every third word.

Could go either way. It’s a Mattel product, and Netflix loves their kids shows, because kids will constantly rewatch the same show over and over again.

But it is Kevin Smith.

Wu Assassin’s looks like cheap imported Hollywood Kung Fu trash.

But…it stars Iko Uwais of The Raid, (and also Mark Dacascos). Features a majority Asian/Asian American cast, for those keeping track of those kinds of things, some great fight choreography, and some surprisingly not-embarassing CGI.

It’s like…well, like a Hong Kong Kung Fu movie /serial, but done with an American aesthetic, and an American budget. It has Hong Kong grade acting, sure. But it’s way better than I expected.

Not necessarily. Smith has directed several excellent episodes of the arrowverse on CW.