The New Iran Treaty

@gman1225 Though it might help you did some preliminary reading first.

Australia reporting that the Trump Admin is planning to bomb Iran, possibly within a month:

If he ordered a strike, would there be a way to stop him?

security analyst perspective

The answer to ‘why’ is simple: He got picked on by Putin, so he picks on a smaller kid. As kids do.

It’s not X-Dimensional chess; it’s Duck Duck Goose.

Could be my weekends are gonna get real booked if we start bomb bomb bomb, bomb bombing Iran out of nowhere.

McCain is a saint and a patriot though, what a moderate that we should all aspire to emulate.

No.

Congress could theoretically stop him from continuing the war, but in reality they never do.

Is the hope that America at war will really around House incumbents?

I think indirectly, yes. Its Wag the Dog. Americans “traditionally” rally behind a president during times of war. Then he starts tweeting that “I really need Congresscritter X in the House to continue to support me” and in theory that drives the vote.

Pentagon/Joint Chiefs could refuse an order, but very unlikely, as they would have to deem it illegal.

On the other hand, if the order was done in typical incompetent Trump fashion, they could certainly gum up the works and delay it by insisting it be done by the books, with all appropriate chain of command approvals, etc.

So, are we going to start a war to distract people from Russia?

More issues in the middle east:

I have always gotten a creepy Game of Thrones vibe from the Kushner/Trump middle east policies and royalty alliances. Remember the Saudi royal coup and opposition purges this spring? There is no way of knowing who works for who’s interests, even among our own state officials.

No reason to be concerned about the new Kushner BFF in charge in Riyadh, nope. I’m sure it is all fine. Just a little light reforming in process.

US policy WRT Iran is basically insane.

So the US comes to agreement with Iran. Iran, from what I understand, follows the agreement. We abandon our end of it and slam sanctions down because… Why? What are we trying to gain, here?

I realize Trump thinks everything Obama did was a “bad deal”, but what are we supposed to gain over what we had with the “bad deal” to begin with?

Goddamnit, the ineptitude and utter thoughtlessness of this administration just grinds my gears on an hourly basis.

It’s especially galling given the charade Trump played out with North Korea. The Trump admin is basically asking NK for a deal which is identical to the one Iran already made, which the Trump admin hates. Of course the real reason has nothing to do with the deal per se; it’s just that, to establishment conservatives, KSA and Israel are our friends, therefore Iran must be our enemy no matter what they do.

It’s really a stupid move from basically every perspective.

One, the unilateral sanctions from the US are nowhere near as powerful as the ones Obama had that allowed us to forge the old Iran deal. They simply won’t pressure Iran as much.

Two, Iran’s economy has massive, systemic problems. They have major corruption in their financial institutions. They are headed for bad things. And Trump’s sanctions give Iran’s leadership a scapegoat. They can now blame the US for their economic troubles, instead of having to deal with it.

A smarter play would have been to work with Iran and say, “Hey, we can help you deal with these problems you’re having, if you work with us.” But lol no.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-un-usa-iran/trump-to-chair-u-n-security-council-meeting-on-iran-idUSKCN1LK2CF

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump will chair a U.N. Security Council meeting on Iran this month to spotlight its “violations of international law” during the annual gathering of world leaders in New York, U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley said on Tuesday.

The United States, which holds the council presidency for September, has unsuccessfully pushed the Security Council to call out Iran. Haley has regularly attacked Iran, accusing it of meddling in the wars in Syria and Yemen.

Haley told reporters Trump was chairing the meeting “to address Iran’s violations of international law and the general instability Iran sows throughout the entire Middle East region.”

Diplomats said Iran could request to speak at the Sept. 26 meeting, the high-level week of the U.N. General Assembly. Iranian President Hassan Rouhani is expected to address the assembly on Sept. 25. The Iranian U.N. mission did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Haley said the United States would not object to Rouhani speaking.

Russia’s Deputy U.N. Ambassador Dmitry Polyanskiy said the Iran meeting should focus on the implementation of a 2015 resolution on Iran.

“We very much hope that there will be views voiced in connection with the U.S. withdrawal” from a 2015 international nuclear deal, Polyanskiy told the council.

Has a president actually sat in that position before? I don’t ever remember a president doing that, or maybe it was just never a big deal before?