The New Kindle Oasis - The waterproof kindle is finally real

Is the Scribe too heavy to read one handed? Considering it as a Paperwhite substitute as well…

One thing I would like in the notebooks is the ability to override a template for individual pages. I like the lined paper for general note use, but sometimes want to stick in a page of graph paper for diagrams.

It is pretty heavy yeah, especially compared to a Paperwhite. It’s fairly similar to an iPad in weight. I really only read it in bed, in which case I’m not holding it up in the air anyway.

But it’s also kind of meant for one-handed use, since one hand holds the pen. Typically though you’d have it propped on your lap or something for that.

Can the Scribe do the inverted display? Black background, white text?

It can, it is still a Kindle and has all the same reading features.

So it has ‘Accessibility/Invert Black and White’ and ‘Dark Mode’

Yeah, the Scribe’s Notebook is limited to 18 templates and once you select one, you’re stuck with that background for the entire notebook.

This is why I’m wondering if a custom ePaper notebook might be worth trying out for a daily journal or for a writing notebook, assuming I can find one or that I create one. The hyperlink buttons on the daily planner I picked up got me thinking seriously about this.

I mean, I read comics and PDFs on a 12.9 inch iPad Pro at night sometimes one-handed, so that’s a really subjective call. :)

Scribe is 433g, iPad Pro is 682g, Oasis is 188g but really about 300g with a case. So a Scribe is basically 1.5 Oasis-with-cases.

Trying out a $5 daily journal ebook on the Scribe. Can choose between narrow (shown here) and medium. Each journal entry has a limit of three pages.

I can’t find an answer for this on the Scribe. If I am writing in a notebook and then put it aside, how long before it goes to sleep? Does it keep the notebook displayed? How quick is waking it and being able to continue writing? Can I wake it just by touching the pen to the screen?

Edit: It will not display the notebook in sleep mode. The Remarkable seems like much more of what I want, but it doesn’t have Kindle books.

The reviews/videos I’ve seen pretty much say the same thing–if notes are what you want, the Remarkable is a better digital notepad. If you want to read, the Scribe wins hands down, because of the ecosystem and the screen/backlights. Sadly it is one or the other I think.

I’m still debating whether to get a new Paperwhite, wait for a potential new Oasis, or get a Scribe, but the latter is less appealing really because I don’t need the note stuff (I can do a lot on my iPad Pro in that area) and the size is daunting even though a big screen would be nice for some books I think. So I’m still puttering along with my skittish Oasis and ancient Paperwhite for now.

As my eyes get weaker due to aging, the Scribe becomes more appealing. I don’t know how much I’d use the notes ability but there could be some use for it. A larger e-ink screen is the main appeal.

I really wish they’d add OCR.

Is that coming? A lot of the impressions I have read talk about what is coming, or the hope that Amazon will improve things over time, but I don’t think Amazon is very good at software. The regular Kindle software (outside of reading) can be painful at times, even after all these years. Not to mention Amazon and the constant need for ads.

I love the idea of an eInk screen that stays on, or at the very least is very quick to wake, so I can treat it like a paper notepad. The Remarkable 2 seems closest to that, but I am struggling with $400 for that purpose.

Large e-ink screen is appealing, indeed. I find the Paperwhite and Oasis screens fine for my fiction reading, though my Paperwhite is older and not as bright as the new ones. I do think the software on Kindles is pretty bad, though I never use anything other than the Kindle reading stuff pretty much. Even there though my machines are really slow, and I have to wait sometimes ten, twenty seconds for a page to turn. That’s on my old Paperwhite, though, which is at least a generation out of date.

Wow.

I’m on my 5th Kindle, a current-generation Paperwhite. I’ve never had any model take more than one second to turn the page. Even the 2007 model did OK, as I recall.

I think you may have a defective device.

I mean, I’ve had this thing for years; it’s either a first or second gen Paperwhite. I use it all the time, and it has a fair bit of stuff on it. I’m sure it is not functioning at full capability, but that’s probably because it is nearing the end of its service life maybe. It might be defective in that sense, but having gotten so many years of use out of it I’m not complaining.

More so over recent years, not less.

in this discussion of Scribe VS Remarkable, y’all know that there’s a bunch of other brands that do e-notes, now, right? Get thee over to Good e-reader and check out the selection. Most run on stock(?) Android 10/11/12, and have access to the Play store, so you can load up any software you want, Kindle, Kobo, Onenote, etc. I personally keep dithering about an Onyx Boox 7.8" e-note- it seems to have everything I want- good screen, super adjustable performance depending on the task, Play store, warm/cool frontlights, etc. They also make 10" and now 13" sizes. In short, the Remarkable 2 is years-old tech at this point, I wouldn’t even consider one at all.

For me, Android based is not a positive (it’s not necessarily a negative either). I don’t want a do-it-all tablet with apps that may or not support the pen (iPadOS Kindle app does not support the Pencil for instance). I want a device that has 2 purposes, reading and writing with a pen. Everything on it is designed for it alone and to do it perfectly.

I love the idea of having an eInk tablet I could use like paper and just leave it open on my desk all day and have it ready to go at a moments notice and then I can file those notes at the end of the day. I think that might be the Remarkable or Supernote, but I am not sure. (Edit: the iPad works really well at this actually if you set it up to use the same note.)

I bought a Scribe, Amazon and their stupid instant gratification with same day delivery. The writing feels great, but using it to take notes as I am reading something doesn’t feel as as great as I was hoping. I keep swiping when I want to highlight for one thing. I do really like having the larger screen, but it will not be replacing my Oasis for reading before bed.

Edit: the Boox Tab X is an Android device, and it does look pretty neat. So many settings though. Not cheap either.

Using the Scribe for note taking this morning, as well as an iPad with Pencil, while watching YouTube Videos on this kind of eInk tablet (Boox, Supernote, and Remarkable). The Scribe gets a lot of grief on YT and I see why, it is barebones without basic features like being able to move text. It’s great to write on, the hardware is good, but the featureless software really holds it back. The iPad actually does a lot of what I like, I just don’t like writing on it and my handwriting quickly becomes unreadable. The resistance of the Scribe keeps me in check and my handwriting actually looks pretty good.

I plan to keep it, because it is a nice larger size Kindle, but I am a bit worried on the software side. They have had time to fix little things like the line/dot templates being really dark, but haven’t. I have my doubts Amazon will do much to fix it, which is a pity. Meanwhile their competitors are constantly updating their software with new features.

There are screen covers for the iPad that have a paper-like texture, though I have not used them. That could be useful.

I looked at the Boox stuff and yeah, nice hardware, but when I looked at the forums there were a ton of complaints from people unable to get the Kindle app to work. Most commonly people could not download or access their current Kindle library, which would be a total deal breaker for me. But the hardware and software overall seem very nice.