The New Kindle Oasis - The waterproof kindle is finally real

I have enjoyed using Goodnotes on my iPad. I’ve started trying Nebo as well.

If I’m reading a novel I still use my paperwhite, which must be getting close to a decade old now, but still going strong and holding a charge.

If it is something I might want to mark up though it has been Apple Books, or now if I have it as a pdf then I use Goodnotes to mark it up.

Edit: it looks like that magnetic protector works well over a tempered glass protector which I already have on the screen, so I’m going to try one this week.

The magnets are a great idea. As an amateur artist, I’ve always considered putting a paper-like screen protector on the iPad to make it a bit less slick for drawing since it seems like a lot of artists recommend it, but since I’m just an amateur and spend more time watching videos and such on the iPad I’ve never been willing to compromise on the color and brightness for movies and other non-drawing uses the cover would entail.

How well does the whole magnet system work? Do you take it on or off a lot or just leave it on? No problems with it moving around as you write on the screen?

It stays on very nicely and doesn’t move around at all. I leave it on, but I could take it off with no problem (they provide a sleeve to store it in). Now, this is only day three or so, but I hope the magnets continue to hold for a while.

Quick update and warning about Goodnotes 6. Although the company graciously offers a subscription for “multi-platform” access to notes, that access is limited to iOS and MacOS OR Windows and Android devices. Notes taken on iOS or Mac do not show up on the Windows version.

They of course promise this ability in the future, so back to the RM2 for me…

Has it been reported that Amazon has apparently stopped selling the Oasis? Even though it’s in their Kindle Family photo here, it’s not listed for sale anywhere.

Such a shame. I was hoping they would update it with better resolution and USB-C.

EDIT: Looks like it happened about a month ago.

Allow me to recommend the Kobo Libra 2, which is a better device anyway. (Source: I own both.)

It does suck, though. But then, Amazon is making a ton of bad decisions w/ Kindle which is why I bailed.

I’m not interested in a device that will require me to manually move my Kindle books over.

I’ll hold out hope that Amazon will launch an Oasis-type Kindle this year, I guess.

I understand that it’s a pain, believe me, but this ship is on fire, going over a cliff, and the bottom hull is full of holes. It’s not going to get easier to bail than now.

I’ve become pretty down on Kindle since they made it so hard to de-drm books. I wasn’t even moving that many into better apps. It just feels claustrophobic to be unable.

That said, the Oasis was really cool, and even though I’ve read many reports that the Sage is a comfortable reader, it’s too big for a lot of people to carry around.

Do the freeware hardware models have built in support for Gutenberg ect?

I have so many Kindle books already that I am pretty much locked into Amazon’s system. And I love my Paperwhite and my Scribe; my Oasis hasn’t been used in forever. Still, I would have loved a USB-C refresh.

I have like 6000 Kindle books and I still switched. You’re only locked in if you decide to be. Note that I suggest Kobo just because that’s what I have direct experience with, there’s probably other worthwhile options. I just really don’t think Kindle is headed anywhere good, much as I used to love 'em. :(

I’m not sure what you’re asking here.

I owned two versions of the Oasis and honestly, I prefer the new Paperwhite Signature edition. Other than the physical buttons, it is a better device across most fronts. Most of my book reading is on the Scribe because I like the size, but it isn’t very good as a note taker.

I, like others, am too entrenched in the Amazon book ecosystem to spend the eons it would take to transfer to another platform.

You don’t have to transfer it all, though. Just books you are immediately intending to read.

Well, I am happy it works for you, but I have zero interest in anything but clicking on a button and having a book delivered to the Kindle app on all my devices, with no hassles. I don’t want to sideload. I don’t want to fiddle with formats. I want to buy books and read them. And Kindle isn’t going away, nor is there any reason to think the number of offerings will be decreasing.

No, there’s no reason to think Kindle, as a book reading platform will be going away. I do think there is some reason for concern that they might eventually drop their e-reader line, and I think Comixology and the current reader interface are very clear warning signs that they are likely to make the user experience massively worse as they’ve already begun doing so. But if that doesn’t matter to you and you only ever want to directly beam books to your devices, then fair enough. I just want to be clear that the hurdles of making the transition away are a lot lower than they seem. Again, I’ve done it. It’s not friction free, but it’s pretty trivial and I’ve barely looked back.

Did you download and convert all 6000?

I feel this is more hoarder mentality than practical. Most people don’t lug around every book they’ve ever purchased forever on after. No e-reader service (in particular the transition from one to another) need be damned based on that part.

1 Like

Of course not. I nabbed some recent purchases, dug back for a few things that I specifically knew I wanted to read, and since then have downloaded a few others as they’ve come up. Honestly hundreds if not thousands of those books, if I haven’t already read them, probably never will get read. But the secret is: that’s no different from when I was on Kindle. Any time I’d switch to a new Kindle, bam, that’s another chunk of my library that would never get downloaded again because you have to manually start all those downloads, too. It’s just mildly less frictive about it.

Oh, yeah, I appreciate the info, too. And sure, if the hardware becomes a PITA I’ll gladly undertake the effort to move my library elsewhere to the extent it is possible. But so far, I have had zero irritations with Kindle ebooks really.

1 Like