The NFL 2016 Season

Looks like Arian Foster has called it a career.

Would anyone really miss Thursday Night Football? Even the Jaguars didn’t watch last night’s game.

I hate Thursday games. They are universally terrible. Sloppy play from short weeks, minimal practice, gameplans that are as basic, and poorly implemented as can be. Pure garbage.

I have a Memento-like memory issue with the existence of Thursday night football. Every time I accidentally stumble across it on TV, I go “Wow, they have football on Thursday now?”

That’s because they don’t.

These games were both played on Thursday, and they were good games. A pox on your selective memories! Though I guess the first few quotes is cheating, since that was also the first game of the entire season, so even though it happened on a Thursday, I guess they players were well rested compared to most Thursday games. So you might have a point.

Yeah, how much better could Jags-Titans really be on a Sunday?

Tons… because we could have just watched a different game.

Not if it’s the flex game for Sunday Night Football!!

Thursday Night Football is horrible. Football is such a physically taxing sport that to ask teams to play with only 3 days rest is criminal. Pitchers get more rest than that. The result is you get unwatchable games between teams that are exhausted.

If they want to keep Thursday Night Football, they need to make serious changes to the schedule so that TNF teams have a bye week the week before. Bye weeks are only between Weeks 5-12, so that gives the league 8 weeks of TNF games.

And just for the bonus middle finger, the league makes the Thursday teams wear the ugliest uniforms in recorded history.

Thursday games need to be abolished. Money though, so I don’t think they will.

Yeah, one entire team of Colonel Mustard and the other entire team in their winter long underwear doesn’t make for good visuals.

Wow, viewership is way down. The Washington Post tries to put it’s finger on it, but IMO and solely based on anecdotal data from a handful of friends & family, the boycotts due the anthem are where I’m putting my money down. The problem of course is once you stop watching, it’s going to be harder to get them to start watching again.

Regardless, the NFL better figure out how to fix it otherwise the owners will start hemorrhaging money.

The numbers are striking. Through seven weeks, ratings were off for every prime-time incarnation of the NFL: “Sunday Night Football” by 19 percent, “Monday Night Football” by 24 percent and the dreaded Thursday night game by 18 percent.

Perhaps more people are coming to the point of view that rooting for batches of mercenaries is essentially a random act that is not worth their money or time.

You give people too much credit.

Personally, I think there’s two main reasons behind the drop. #1, they’re not accounting properly for the people watching their football through Internet streaming or time-shifting with DVRs or whatever other not-Neilson-rated means. #2, there’s been a lot of other interesting stuff going on - presidential elections, more-compelling-than-usual baseball playoffs - cutting into the viewership.

That’s a real issue, and I fully expect we’re going to see the NFL coming out with some kind of response. Maybe as soon as this season’s playoffs, maybe not until the start of next season. I have no marketing skill so I can’t say what it’ll be, but surely some bright marketing genius is working on a “come back to football” campaign of some kind.

It will just be pictures of women superimposed over the image of an American flag.

I can’t print the numbers, but I can tell you that the number of customers who stream NFL Sunday Ticket games has more than doubled since last season.

Fantasy is way down also, so much so that Fanduel and Draftkings are losing money and looking to merge. The whole thing is pretty curious.

You just made my whole day.