The NFL 2018 Season

Honestly, if you just step back and take a look at the notion of a “cheerleader,” it’s just ridiculous in this day and age.

I mean, it’s basically just sticking a Hooters into a sporting event. Putting people on the side lines whose sole purpose for being there is tits and ass, is ridiculous.

Strangely, we don’t have a bunch of Channing Tatum looking dudes on the side lines wearing nothing but a sock on their dick. I wonder why that is?

Rams are adding two male cheerleaders. Not sure what they will be wearing on their dicks, though.

Maybe it would be better to just stop the cheerleader bullshit in general?

I wouldn’t miss them. Thing is, there seem to be plenty of willing participants and someone somewhere makes money off them.

I guess when you are at the game they do something during commercial breaks. Perhaps there’s a modicum of entertainment value there for people at the game. The commercial break stops are boring.

No cheerleaders? What a world. This sounds like a blame the victim kind of thing. So she likes to cheer (shakes fist). What did the cheerleaders ever do to you?

Thanks for posting - I grew up with those 49ers (we had season tickets and went to the first 2 Super Bowls). Eddie D was the most incredible owner, and you could tell how much love he fostered between the players and the fans. He (and all of the 80’s/90’s) 49ers are still revered here. The Yorks, not so much.

Last year, we went and saw Huey Lewis and the News at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga, and Dwight was there. He was able to stand and wave at the crowd as Huey introduced him and did Hip to be Square (which Dwight, Montana, Lott and Riki Ellison sang backing vocals on), but you knew he was hurting - but he had this big grin on his face as he got a standing ovation from the crowd. So glad I got to kind of say goodbye. He was and is a class act - and I remember meeting him after a game at his old restaurant, Clark’s by the Bay.

Yep. He was a great one. And I say that as a Rams fan who grew up admiring the 49ers during the Montana years. I still have both Montana and Clark rookie cards.

I know, right, what a weirdo! But hey, watching The Catch beat the Cowboys never gets old.

I was at that game too (as well as all of the 49er misery before then, including the legendary Staubach comebacks). When Dwight caught that ball, I was so certain that Wersching was going to miss the go-ahead extra point, that’s how bad the Cowboys had us hexed. And then, even after he made the extra point, Eric Wright had to make a game saving tackle at midfield, and it looked like the Cowboys were going to get a shot at a Field Goal, when Lawrence Pillars busted through the middle, and sacked Danny White, who fumbled and the Niners went on to their 1st Super Bowl. Absolutely amazing.

One of our neat stories from that game is that the NFL Today tent was down in front of our section, and at one point during the pre-game, we had our binoculars on Brent Musberger, who opened his dress shirt to reveal a 49ers t-shirt. Not just any 49ers t-shirt, but the one which said “forty fucking niners”!

Wow, I’d forgotten about all the post-catch drama, but thanks for the memories. And the Musberger story. What a great day that was for you.

Why you trade up in the 5th round to take a punter…

Does anyone have any gasoline we can pour on the anthem protest fire?

No word on if the penalties offset if both teams kneel. Of if the NFL is deliberately trying to come up with the worst possible ideas or if they’re just naturally gifted.

Meanwhile…

Shut the front door. That’s not a thing.

Fucking Vikings are going to go 15-1 and cruise to their first SB and I’m going to not be able to enjoy any of it. Fucking NFL.

They should just play the National Anthem during a commercial break and have the players come out after. No one in TV land cares. Hell, most of the fans in the seats don’t really care. Stop linking sports to patriotism. It’s dumb. We don’t start our day at the office with the National Anthem.

scribbles the name Mark Asher onto a note then affixes it to the leg of a MAGA pigeon before releasing him out into the night

The only job I ever had to do that for was the US Military, where you know, it kind of makes sense. It makes NO sense in sports. When we go see a concert or play or movie or I don’t know, just about any other public event, it rarely starts, if ever, with the National Anthem.

It makes no logical sense, but it’s such a firmly established tradition that there is no way the owners will even consider getting rid of it, especially because they know all the hell they would take for doing so.

I think the penalty idea was incredibly stupid, because I can’t imagine players on the other team not wanting to show solidarity in that situation. Then both teams get penalized, and nothing really changes on the field.

Good news then! They’re just going to fine the teams if people kneel.

Oh, so the players can stay in the locker room? I’d be all over that. I’d be playing Madden up until its time for the kickoff.

What a terrible day. I’m forced to like something the Jets are doing.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/national-anthem-christopher-johnson-fines-1.18700702

“I do not like imposing any club-specific rules,” Johnson said. “If somebody [on the Jets] takes a knee, that fine will be borne by the organization, by me, not the players. I never want to put restrictions on the speech of our players. Do I prefer that they stand? Of course. But I understand if they felt the need to protest. There are some big, complicated issues that we’re all struggling with, and our players are on the front lines. I don’t want to come down on them like a ton of bricks, and I won’t. There will be no club fines or suspensions or any sort of repercussions. If the team gets fined, that’s just something I’ll have to bear.”