The NFL Protests

Goddamn I love Chris Long.

Here, Scuzz. Let’s let a football player address some of your questions in this thread.

I really hope Long finishes his career in Philadelphia.

Well, if there was ever a way for what once was a titan among sports industries to plow its way into irrelevancy, the NFL is figuring it out pretty well.

Long’s last two lines really sum it up for me. That’s what patriotism is – Loving your country’s ideals and holding it to task when it doesn’t live up to those ideals. Understanding that rights, like freedom of expression, also carry with them a weight of responsibility, which is to exercise those rights to better the country rather than sitting idly by while things go to shit. Blind, mandatory allegiance to symbols rather than ideals is nationalism which, to my mind, in this country at least, is the opposite of patriotism because it so misses the point of the values this country was founded on.

Bringing the players on the field was a political thing that happened after 9/11. Historically the players weren’t on the field for it.

So what you’re saying is you want politics kept out of the political thing someone else invented for political purposes.

Tough shit.

http://archive.lasentinel.net/UserFiles/File/021711/black%20power.jpg

Now that’s a good reason to boycott the NFL.

So it is pretty much like any other historical power.

Yea, I think I said that up above. Nice of you to join in. :)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-supports-nfls-decision-on-national-anthem-policy/ar-AAxJHE9

“I don’t think people should be staying in the locker rooms, but still I think it’s good. You have to stand proudly for the national anthem. You shouldn’t be playing, you shouldn’t be there. Maybe they shouldn’t be in the country,” Trump said.

Again this is not patriotism, this is nationalism.

Well, Trump is an idiot and yes, that is nationalism and has nothing to do with patriotism.

Indeed! If it makes you feel better, I don’t feel any patriotism for Great Britain or Rome, either.

Amazing how the NFL struggles with policies on everything from players hitting women to how to deal with their sport causing traumatic brain injuries.

When it comes to players protesting racism though? That is something they can act swiftly on.

Swiftly? It has been almost two years now. Kaepernick started doing his thing in Sept of 2016, right?

And for how long has the NFL known about its concussions problem or the players hitting women problem?

And it didn’t become a big thing until the Shitter Twitterer in Chief injected himself into it.

So swift in comparison to other problems they have largely ignored? You might use that comparison next time you say something about how “swift” something has happened.

I thought that by specifically referring to those two problems in that post that most sentient humans would’ve made that comparison in relation.

I can’t fix reading comprehension for you.