The North Korea Thread

Pfft. If you were a real somebody, you’d get the “Reeducation Anti-Aircraft Guns”.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-08-30/north-korea-executes-two-officials-with-anti-aircraft-gun-report-says

This could get out of control fast.

I really want someone to ask each of the candidates how they would handle this situation with North Korea. I suspect we would get one measured response and one response that amounts to “I would make sure they stopped through my amazing leadership!”

I suppose in this instance the wall is already built and paid for.

Perhaps a dome is required.

+1 internet to you, sir.

It’s not a nuke and probably not worth its own thread but Kim Jong-un just had his brother assassinated in KL airport by some female assassins using poisoned needles.

Which I admit, is not something you see every day.

Was the world timeline replaced by the plot of a bad Tom Clancy novel, or were things always like this?

Well, he had his uncle fed to dogs, so it’s always been like this for North Korea.

AP says it was a chemical spray.

BBC says it was a cloth laced with a liquid.

I think execution by anti-aircraft fire (an uncle in 2013) is pretty hard to beat.

I was talking to a colleague about this, but it is so hard to even fathom what the DPRK is like, because it is so vastly different than anything else we have seen. There is nothing else like it in the world that it is so hard to wrap our heads around what happens there.

North Korea has always been a Clancy novel, at the times Russia/USSR. What is really really different, is that President of the US is actually a front runner for the batshit crazy leader competition.

If they didn’t starve so many people to death, it would be quite amusing.

A few points.

• I shudder to think what the next Supreme Leader from this this clan will look like. Jong-Nam appeared to be on the verge of going full monobrow.

• They all secretly want to go to Disneyland…

• I know you just can’t resist bringing Trump into it…

Indonesia’s national police chief, Tito Karnavian, told reporters in Indonesia’s Aceh province that the Indonesian woman, 25-year-old Siti Aisyah, was paid to be involved in pranks .

He said she and another woman performed stunts which involved convincing men to close their eyes and then spraying them with water.

“Such an action was done three or four times and they were given a few dollars for it, and with the last target, Kim Jong-nam, allegedly there were dangerous materials in the sprayer,” Karnavian said.

“She was not aware that it was an assassination attempt by alleged foreign agents.”

Siti’s family have said they were shocked to hear of her involvement in the case, describing her as a struggling mother who had travelled to Malaysia for work.

Her 26-year-old Malaysian boyfriend was also arrested by police late on Thursday. Police are hunting for other alleged accomplices.

Fiverr is the best bang for your buck when it comes to political assassinations apparently.

I eagerly await the vigorous defense of pewdiepie’s free speech rights.

I actually had the pleasure of interviewing his son for a place in Sciences Po. His son was easily the most memorable interviews I have ever had. Extraordinarily impressive, and more compassionate then I could ever be in his circumstance.

He has been quite outspoken about the horror that North Korea presently endures. He noted that his father had once also been outspoken, but stopped being so after his life was threatened. He did not stop, said he would not stop, and at one point he said something to the effect of “I wholly expect to be assassinated.” His mother is South Korean, and one of his maternal uncles was a South Korean union activist who was assassinated by (IIRC) Park. The family then fled to the north, where another of his maternal uncles was killed by North Korea.

So when I heard the news, I felt really sad for him.

So, turns out the thing they used to kill his brother in an international airport? VX nerve gas.

They’re going to start decontaminating. Too bad it’s been almost 2 weeks.

If it didn’t kill the two ladies or anyone in close proximity to Jong Nam then they’re probably safe. What a crazy story. It’s getting covered like crazy here in Japan but they generally go into conniptions over anything regarding North Korea. I don’t really believe the ladies story. It was far too orchestrated to be anything other than a dedicated assassination. It was coordinated and took two seconds before both ladies ran to the washroom to wash their hands. That doesn’t happen if you were to just get a couple of random ladies to spray some stranger’s face as a prank.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/838544081341071360
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/838554579654557696
https://www.yahoo.com/news/n-korea-fires-unidentified-projectile-sea-seoul-231703820.html

Seoul said four missiles were fired from North Pyongan province into the East Sea – its name for the Sea of Japan – and that South Korea and the US were “closely analysing” tracking data for further details.

The missiles travelled around 1,000 kilometres (620 miles) and reached an altitude of 260 kilometres, said a spokesman for South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, adding they were unlikely to be ICBMs.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said three of the North Korean missiles came down in Tokyo’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) – waters extending 200 nautical miles (370 kilometres) from its coast.

“This clearly shows North Korea has entered a new stage of threat,” Abe said in parliament.

“Repeated launches by North Korea are a serious, provocative action in terms of security and clearly violate UN security council resolutions. We can never tolerate this.”

Pyongyang carried out two atomic tests last year and a series of missile launches, but Monday was only the second time its devices entered Japan’s EEZ.

Yeah, isn’t it great that North Korea keeps launching missiles and yet here in the US, we’re stuck dealing with our moronic President’s tweetstorm shit sessions. And yeah, the whole treason thing. Good times.