The North Korea Thread

Why have one war when you can have two for the price of one?

I have a dream that one day, Jill Stein is diagnosed with a terminal illness. I have a dream that on that same day, on her way from the doctor’s office, she is unceremoniously trampled to death by a march of disenfranchised Juggalos.

Ahem.

Excuse you. The preferred term is crystalmancer.

That sounds like the name of a match-3 RPG. Somebody go make that.

This. It sends a message to every nation:
Build nuclear weapons and don’t cut any deals because the US will renege on them.

I haven’t finished watching it yet, but this was definitely the takeaway from this week PBS Frontline on North Korea.

I mean Trump has done more for setting back nuclear proliferation in 9 months, than all the president combined in the last 50 years. Truly an accomplishment.

If you’re a tin-pot dictator the smartest plan of action is:

Kiss Trump’s ass so he likes you
Develop nukes

It’s not just the tin-pot dictators. Our allies (if they are smart) will see this and realize that you can’t trust any promise from America for more than 4 years. The whole foundation of NATO, that the US will use nuclear weapons to defend Europe, is in doubt now. You can’t plan for the future by guessing how each American presidential election will turn out.

When Jimmy Carter was president he said the Iranians were “irrational”. That must be how the rest of the world sees us now.

I’m sure Stein can cure it with stone vagina eggs, beetroot tinctures and Hopi shamanic chanting.

Well, the FT is reporting that Tillerson and Mattis are looking for some way to keep the Iran deal in place while toughening the US position to save face for Trump. So maybe it’s not dead just yet. I guess this is a make or break time for them (and us) - if they can’t stop him from tearing it up, what are they in the administration for?

Maybe this is more about Trump’s understanding of the concept of a “deal.” To him, a deal is only valid if he benefits, and anything promised to the other parties is disposable. A deal that is an actual compromise, like the agreement with Iran, irks him to no end as he sees himself now as the United States, and the only deal the US should make would be one where it gets everything and the other party gets squat.

I feel like the calculus is, 1) Obama did it, so it must be undone, and 2) It also makes him look tough to his base, which is a bonus.

Seriously, when you look at him at that White House correspondent’s dinner, I think he’s actually thinking “I will undo you. I will erase you from the pages of history. Everything you accomplished, I will grind into dust.” Only, y’know, less articulate.

Yeah, I think technically what he was thinking was “ARGLEBARGLEWARGLE”, and then he proceeded to fail upward, just as he has done all his life.

It is amazing that he failed all the way up to the Presidency. Where can he go next? Are we looking at the birth of a new god?

Close. The new Birther God

Armando’s on fire today, y’all.

Is there a Manchild pretender in Dominions yet?

Maybe the Iranians can make a gesture here that will placate him. They don’t really have any good reason to improve their missiles further, so it wouldn’t hurt them to give up on that. If Khamenei is willing to swallow his pride again, this would be a win for everyone.

If I were them, I’d not hold any discussions with the US whatsoever. Hold discussions with other nations and agree to the current limitations while gaining some sort of concessions in the process, sure. But negotiating with the US is a fool’s errand with this administration

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/north-korea-suspected-of-hacking-u-s-south-korean-war-plans-1507636641

SEOUL—Suspected North Korean hackers stole sensitive military secrets, including joint U.S.-South Korean plans detailing how to eliminate the Pyongyang leadership, during an attack on Seoul’s defense data system last year, a South Korean lawmaker said.

Rhee Cheol-hee, a member of the ruling Democratic Party, said in an interview with local media published on Tuesday that the hackers had broken into South Korea’s defense data center in September last year and snatched a trove of classified military documents.

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/354695-north-korea-suspected-of-hacking-stealing-us-south-korea-war-plans

South Korean officials believe that North Korean hackers stole classified U.S.-South Korea military documents, including a top secret plan prepared for potential conflict on the Korean Peninsula.

Multiple South Korean media outlets reported Tuesday that Seoul’s defense ministry disclosed in communications with a South Korean lawmaker that the military documents had been stolen.

According to a report in the Chosun Ilbo newspaper, the defense ministry said that hackers “presumed to be North Koreans” stole 235 gigabytes of documents from South Korean military networks in August and September of 2016.

The ministry disclosed the leak in documents submitted to Rhee Cheol-hee, a member of the country’s legislature, in response to a freedom of information request.

Among the documents reportedly harvested was OPLAN 5015, a top secret U.S.-South Korea military strategy for full-scale conflict on the Korean Peninsula. Hackers also pilfered U.S. and South Korea personnel reports, minutes from meetings about joint military drills between the U.S. and South Korea, and data on South Korean military installations and power plants, according to news outlets.

Lee told South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency that much of the stolen data has not been identified.

“The Ministry of National Defense has yet to find out about the content of 182 gigabytes of the total (stolen) data,” Lee said.