The October 2015 Horror roundup thread

FYI, Halloween was saved. Barnes and Noble had it on DVD for $5.

One of those surprising instances when the movie is available on Canadian Netflix and not the US one.

Pod - which Fessenden acts in - appeared recently on U-verse on demand. It’s also available through Amazon, but not prime. The Directer - Michael Keating I think it is - h as another movie Fessenden stars in from 2013. The Ritual. I have not seen either.

Pod is unfortunately godawful mainly because one of the actors – the one who has to do the heaviest lifting – is in waaaaay over his head. It’s painful watching the guy flail around. Fessenden isn’t in it much, but he’s got a nifty little role.

I barely remember Ritual, but I don’t think it was very good either. In terms of cult movies, you’re better off watching Mary Elizabeth Winstead and the underappreciated Leland Orser in Faults.

-Tom

Oh man Leland Orser is terrific, I will have to check that out.

Thanks!

Man, I’m watching the wrong Leland Orser films because I only catch him in bug-eyed insane mode.

Forgot to mention that I had a chance to see Green Inferno a little while back. After sitting through this miserable piece of amateurish horror, I wish I’d passed. This may be Roth’s low point in film making. And considering his resume, that’s saying something. I can’t decide which was worse: the truly juvenile script or the abysmal acting from almost everyone involved.

I just watched The Girl in the Photographs. I didn’t know anything about it other than it’s been cluttering up my Netflix queue for a while. It has Kal Penn, (yes, Harold and Kumar Kal Penn) as an asshole LA photographer and a small part with Mitch Pileggi as a clueless sheriff. Directed by Nick Simon who more recently directed 2 Lava 2 Lantula and Truth or Dare. I was kind of expecting a real train wreck based on the director’s resume, and the synopsis is pretty bad too.

Colleen (Claudia Lee) is grocery store clerk in Spearfish, SD and she starts getting photos of bodies from a serial local killer. Peter (Kal Penn) reads about the killings and decides he has to get out to Spearfish to one-up the killer’s amateur photos by bringing his entourage of vapid models and staging his own “dead model” shoots for an ad campaign. Chris (Kenny Wormald) as Peter’s bag man gets dragged along and supplies the possible romance for Colleen when Peter offers her a modeling job on the shoot. Of course the killer arrives to the house the party has rented, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Here’s the weird bits. It was the last movie Wes Craven was involved in. He executive produced, which I suspect is how the legendary Dean Cundey wound up as cinematographer.

It’s not a good movie. It’s really not. That said, there are some great shots, including one in which Cundey does a new take on his own terrific gag from Halloween in which he slowly turned up the light on The Shape in a darkened doorway.

Plus, there’s a decent upending of the audience’s expectations with regards to the Chris character.

Anyway, probably a two star film overall. Not really good enough to sit through, but the director was trying to say something. If you do see it, catch it for the cinematography which has that crisp Cundey look.