"Finally, you float up to the mountain, and reach the light beacon; at
that point, the screen fades to white AND THE CREDITS ROLL."

im guessing you probably don't like the ending to "Black Swan" either

"Regarding the graphics, this is basically a monochrome game mostly
tinted in sepia tones, but sometimes tinted in white or something else
instead: it feels like the developers don't know that the PS3 can show
more than one color at once."

dont even know where to start on that one

anyway, I can at least say your review was just as insightful, intelligent, and actually more detailed as Tom's. Quarter To Three should offer you a job immediately.

Quarter to Three: were lack of insight = virtuous rebellion against the mainstream

Its interesting to see how a single ill informed, universally panned, 4 paragraph review, brings out the most pretentious dregs of the gaming community to serve as apologists for it. None of whom have actually played the game in question and are simply agreeing with Tom to stroke their own defeatist, anti-mainstream egos, as well as his. How very special.

I don't think you understand how the word "universally" works.

How about majority? That seems more appropriate

@tomchick:disqus Since you said you liked uncharted, but hated uncharted 3, which would be your favourite game in the series? (Probably U2)

No.

the fact that Tom thought the desert section in Uncharted 3 was dull and pointless, combined with his total disregard for the presentation of Journey, leads me to think that he simply has a very shallow appreciation, if any at all, for atmosphere, the moods/information they are meant to instill, and visual storytelling in general.

for example, in U3, the desert sequence was intended to establish a sense of urgency and despiration (dying of thirst) to the subsequent exploration and firefight. It adds a new dimension of tension and interest. Tom's inability to recognize things like this and consequently dubbing them "boring" just leads one to assume that his perceptive abilities are sorely lacking. This kind of stuff just goes over his head.

He probably hates "2001: a space odyssey" as well. He probably thinks its "dull" too. 1/5 for that movie.

For example, remember the scene with Dave trying to get back into the ship, after HAL goes haywire? im sure this is what he is thinking during it

"this scene is too long and boring, man. why is there no music or sound? there should have been an epic Hans Zimmer score here or something."

Or the "moon monolith" scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...

"why is this scene lasting so long? what is with the music? its just people making creepy noises. its wierd. I don't get it. What is going on in this scene? its just people walking down a platform, taking pictures, and touching a block. this is sooo dull. Kubrick must have been out of his mind. this movie sucks"

If his ability to appreciate atmosphere and visual storytelling in film is as shoddy as it is in gaming, than Im probably not too far off from the truth.

and im expected to sit here and take this guy's opinion halfway seriously? Im expected to treat his reviews with some legitimacy? please......

That is an impressive scarecrow you built there, Chris. is that made entirely from straw? I wonder what is holding it up?

www.engrish.com

"...one of the most poignant experiences
you will find this generation."Not objective.

"The game will astound you with its flowing atmosphere and
environments..."Not objective."The works of Thatgamecompany
evoke an unmistakable charm and grace, standing as art pieces before video
games, in a traditional sense."Not objective.

"These two buttons are all one needs to traverse
the vast landscapes of this world and solve its charming puzzles."Not objective."Throughout the quest, one
will occasionally bump into other players, which creates a brilliant contrast
with the accustomed desolation."To what is the desolation accustomed?"All players are anonymous, the only defining
feature being the symbol they are granted at the beginning of the game."All players are granted the same symbol?"Its simplicity, anonymity, and ambiguous nature makes it one of the
most magical and intimate multiplayer experiences in recent memory.""Makes" should be "make." But also: not objective."Complimented by the utterly stunning musical score, Journey is a euphoric, emotional powerhouse. It will surely be
remembered for years to come, like SOTC, as a testament to why video games are
an art form, a single word refutation of any point to the contrary."Really. Not. Objective.

"Some might criticize its length, being only 2-3 hours,
depending on the level exploration. However, it seems perfectly appropriate
given the price ($15)."Not objective."Each environment in Journey is short
and sweet, never running their course and becoming stale.""Their" should be "its" here, but that won't help that fact that an environment can't run its course."So, as an experience,
it flows perfectly."Hi. I am another sentence that is not objective.

"Given the sheer sophistication, polish, scope, and emotional
resonance that this game provides, while working under serious limitations, it
seems unthinkable to give it anything other than a 10/10. It is as close to
perfect as a downloadable game can get. It is easily the best “download only”
game on PSN or any other console, for that matter. It is also one of the best
games to be released so far this year. At only 15$, any gamer who neglects to
pick it up is doing themselves a great disservice."Wow. My hat is off to you, sir, and your unflagging objectivity.

Um, he doesn't write an article like that every time someone calls him a fag. He's been writing reviews professionally for what, now, 15, 20 years? And, nudge nudge, you're coming off like a self-righteous bastard.

I think I would actually like Journey if I got a chance to play it (I don't own a PS3). But it is hilarious to read you going on about stuff that is glaringly present in your own review of the game. You are a brilliant self-parodist, sir.

Chris, I was going to write some comment about how games are art (especially a game like Journey) and therefore subject to different interpretations by reviewers....but then I decided it was a waste of time since you are only here to justify your own opinion amd have no interest in an actual discussion.

My advice is to go find a different corner of the internet to go troll.

Whatever it is, it's stronger than the weak framework Chick built his review around. THAT seems to consist solely of support from other individuals with a similarly shallow understanding of atmosphere in gaming.

It's a matter of professionalism, or in this case, a lack thereof.

Never seen it. Whatever it's about, it's irrelevant to the subject at hand.

That subject is his poor excuse for a review, and his even poorer response to the criticism rightly appropriated to said review.

I think I'll say this much, and then put this ridiculousness behind me:

On Multiple occasions, both here and on the original review, many commenters brought up reasonable, logical, and legitimate concerns about the content and/or quality of the review. This includes things like his apparent inability to grasp the emotional aspects of the game, his misunderstanding of the story in total, his barebones and inaccurate descriptions of the game's mechanics, and others.

In this article, a so-called "defense" of his review, he addressed none of these. instead, he chose to poke fun at those who were less eloquent in expressing their distate for his review. The questions he asks of himself clear up none of the issues people genuinely had- such as the ones I mentioned above- but instead allow him to respond so that his review sounds justifiable. And, as they continue, they degrade into self-trolling, of sorts, which is essentially a jab at those who found fault with his review; it grants the "you suck" comments the same validity as the "I think you misunderstood" comments. Actually, it does the exact opposite: the more insightful, serious comments are given the same validity (none at all) as the ones expressing only hate.

It's fairly clear that this article's purpose was to render all the complaints and negative feedback of his review as insignificant by lumping the intelligent with the belligerent. If it had been a serious attempt at being explanatory, I might have at least respected his opinion, though I would still wholly disagree with his perception of the game. Instead, Tom Chick chose to confirm the suspicions of many: that he is unfit for the position of reviewer, especially given his inability to be objective.

(Many of you seem to think this impossible; however, objectivity is not nearly as difficult as that. It simply requires giving more weight to the intentions of the developers- and their execution of said intentions- than your personal opinion of genre, platform, artistic style, etc. I previously gave an example in my dislike for Call of Duty: I don't think MW3 is worth $60, given that the game has evolved very little over the past four titles, even while it continues to break records in revenue. Particularly of note is that the game is running on the same (well polished by now, but still the same) engine as too many entries before it. Even so, it's by and large a solid game that offers fans of the core mechanics exactly what they want out of Call of Duty. And given the many, MANY hours the average player sinks into each entry, they'll definitely find it worth their money.)

In any case, I've learned my lesson: Tom Chick's sense of self-importance- his impression his reviews are exceptional and beyond reproach- carries more weight than his desire to do an exceptional job as a reviewer. Instead of admitting his review can very easily be seen as a lackluster attempt, he would rather justify his shoddy ethic by demeaning his detractors.

His is NOT an opinion I would trust or value when it comes to games, except that I may likely enjoy what he rates poorly, and conversely despise what he praises.

The reviewing ethics of Tom Chick and his little fanbase are just horribly twisted. I had a discussion with one a reddit.

I said this

"a reviewer, especially a professional reviewer, is expected to recognize
the "goods and bads" of a game, regardless of genre or personal
preference. I dont go around giving Fifa, Madden, and MLB 3/10 scores,
because I find them boring. These games are not "bad." The problem is
with me, not them. Giving them such a rating would be horribly dishonest
and misleading. And that is why other reviewers dont act like Tom
Chick."

here is his response to me. im quoted throughout his reply
-------------------------
"I dont go around giving Fifa, Madden, and MLB 3/10 scores"

Why not? If you played these games, found fault in these games, and
found that these games were overall not very fun or redeeming in many
qualities, then why wouldn't you rate them at a 3/10 if you thought it
was appropriate?

"These games are not "bad."

Says who? Reviewers? So because a reviewer says the game is good I
can't possibly come to the opposite conclusion? How is that reasonable?

"Giving them such a rating would be horribly dishonest and misleading."

You think Chick is being dishonest or misleading? If Chick gave the
game any other score, wouldn't THAT be dishonest and misleading?

-----------------------

basically their idea of game reviewing is congruent with that of a metacritic troll, who just gave mass effect 3 a 2/10 because the ending pissed them off. It is the most crude, visceral, knee-jerk form of reviewing. There is zero attempt at objectivity.

and lets get something straight. No one is 100% objective, but good reviewers try to as objective as they can. A good reviewer puts some effort foward in that regard. Tom Chick does not. Im sorry, there is nothing respectable, intellectually or ethically, about that way of reasoning.

This thread needs Bill Dungsroman. :(

Once again, Chris, you fail to recognize the subjectivity present in every paragraph of your own review. It's astounding that you can't deal with someone having a different opinion from you -- or God forbid, metacritic`. It's fucking video game, man. Do something more constructive with your time.