The Opposition Thread

#ThisIsWhatYouGetWhenYouLetTheRacis-IMeanRepublicans-Vote

Honestly, I think it’s “this is what happens when old people vote”.

The rate at which things change is accelerating. Old people like my parents kind of don’t understand how to consume information in the modern age. I think that it’s so different from the information environment that they grew up in, that they are extremely easy to manipulate.

Now, make no mistake, a ton of that manipulation is actually making them into racists and shit… But I think part of it is just because they’re old.

Someone posted here, or somewhere, an article talking about how with older people they were easier to plant false facts into their heads, and that telling them that they were false actually had the effect of reinforcing the false facts. Like, they remembered hearing the fact a million times, but didn’t remember that most of those times hearing it included hearing that it wasn’t true. So when asked later whether it was true, they said it was.

It’s messed up.

I’m not sure if that was specifically older people. It seemed like people across all demographics.

Stupidity doesn’t discriminate!

Here’s another piece of data - 53% of Trump voters say they don’t believe Trump golfs more than Obama did.

So do they really believe it, or are they just picking the poll option that makes Obama look bad? With all the polls about birthism, I always thought it was the second - that most of the alleged birthers neither knew nor cared where Obama was born, but just responded to polls with whatever choice was closest to “Fuck Obama.”

See additional discussion in the biggest victim thread. Consensus: Trump voters are tragically stupid but ALSO racist.

What I find heartening is that 47% of trump voters do apparently perceive reality. That’s more than I anticipated!

I think that they’ve gone to a place where reality simply doesn’t matter anymore.

They don’t actually care what reality is. I don’t think they “know” that X is true and Y is false, but are picking Y because “fuck obama”. I think that it transcends this, and is at the level of “it doesn’t matter what is true”. That reality itself is totally immaterial.

For these people questions like this amount to opinion polls. It’s ceases to be a question about the nature of reality, but instead just becomes a question about what their opinion is. And it’s weird, because it’s not the normal form of this kind of question… it’s not “what do you believe to be true”, because they don’t care about the “be true” part.

Reality itself has fallen away, and is just a self contained fantasy realm in their imagination. All questions about reality are instead answered based on derivations drawn from the fantasy world, rather than the real one.

In a very real sense, it represents a detachment that is akin to some kind of psychosis, or concerted brainwashing effort.

The problem is, such things require a serious deprogramming process to really reverse, and there’s no way to really do that.

Pretty much this. Every time they heard about Obama playing golf it made them angry. Every time they hear about Trump golfing they don’t care. We all remember the things that upset us.

I don’t even care that Trump plays golf. The less time at his desk signing destructive executive orders, the better. I just wish he’d play at some DC courses to save us a bit of money.

Well yeah, considering how much of Trump’s agenda I find to be cruel and dangerous, the more he slacks off the happier I am. I wish he’d just live out on the links.

“The president wants to destroy America! And he’s not working hard enough!” >> line of thinking I never really understood

So they are happy with Trump?

I care about paying 2.4 million dollars of our tax dollars to him every week so that he can play golf.

Hell, if he was paying it to some other corporation or golf course I wouldn’t even mind as much. But he’s basically just double fucking us, and no one seems to be willing or able to do ANYTHING about it.

In a way, yes. They are personally not affected by Trump’s worst policies so far, and they have jobs and money. The increase in participation and slide to the left happening on the democrat side is what they were hoping would happen. They think this will wake up America or something. We’ll see I guess, but I’m more pessimistic myself.

Before I steal your shtick, where did you find that data point?

According to the IRS, 146.24 million individual tax forms were sent in during 2013. Dividing the total amount of tax receipts collected from individual taxpayers (minus the amount of money returned to taxpayers in refunds) by the number of individual tax filers shows that the average taxpayer was on the hook for roughly $8,548.49.

There are so many other ways that Trump’s wasting of money (or rather, theft of that money, since it’s going to pay his own private companies) can be seen as obscene.

Like, consider that with that average amount of taxes per person, per year, another thing you could do with the money that Trump spends on golf every year would be to hold a lottery and every week pick seven people and say “You never have to pay federal taxes again, for your entire life! Also, here’s all the taxes you’ve ever paid thus far!”

You could do this every single week.

But instead, Trump goes golfing, and charges the government for the cost, and then pays it to himself.

Really, that’s the most offensive part of it. I mean, Trump owns this shit… he could certainly allow all those staffers and shit to stay at those locations for free. But he doesn’t. He charges exorbitant fees for them to stay there.

We saw the same shit before… when Trump was in the primary, his staff stayed at Trump tower, and paid a fairly low rent for it. As soon as he won the nomination, and the RNC started funding the campaign? He jacked the rent up 500%… so then the RNC was literally just paying money to Donald Trump.

It’s such an absurd scam. I can’t see how anyone doesn’t find it patently offensive.

Plus he charges the Secret Service to stay in Trump Tower, and probably a hundred other ways he’s screwing everybody over.

Have you heard about the inauguration stuff, which seems to be gaining some momentum? He doubled what Obama raised, but it came from a much smaller number of donations. Lots of million dollar donations from companies like Boeing, Citgo (nearly bankrupt, mind you), and individuals.

So, 100 mil total. And no one outside the campaign knows what happened to all that money. Certainly wasn’t spent on the inauguration festivities, according to people that attended.

I’m betting large swathes of it went straight into his pocket via the hotel in DC.

Ya, I heard that too. The thing that’s weird is just how no one in any of the branches of power seems to be willing to do anything about any of it.

I hope someone does a good check on his budget because I am sure there is money in there directed only to Trump owned enterprises. (sarcasm)

Huh. It’s almost as if nobody ever considered the possibility that a person could be elected to higher office whose sole purpose was accumulating money.