The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's Fallout New Vegas in Space

I apologize in advance for being that guy but Byzantium is on Terra 2, not Monarch.

He clearly meant Cascadia. I understood where he was talking about! :)

You’re correct, my mistake. No need to apologize.

I forgot about Roseway on Terra 2 and Cascadia on Monarch, both of which I liked a lot, so that evens them out even more.

Overall I really enjoyed the design of Outer Worlds. So many great locations with interesting back stories that you can piece together if you take your time and read all the terminals and tablets lying around.

The revelations all come fairly slowly but at a steady pace once you land in Byzantium. I really like how it all fits together, and all the things I saw on previous places fits within that larger story of these colonies.

I can feel the story getting closer to an end now. I really, really enjoyed playing this. I wish there were more games like this around. I would love for these to be common enough to be my goto bread and butter games. The worlds feel small enough that it’s never overwhelming. You’re not undertaking a herculean task trying to finish a game like this, you’re just reading a relatively short and entertaining novel.

Well put, pretty much my feelings exactly. Outer Worlds was just long enough that I felt satisfied at the end, yet well-crafted enough that was left thinking I would eagerly buy and play a sequel.

I finished this some time ago, and suddeny realized it was the first game I’ve finished in a long time (save for AC Odyssey, but only story line and no DLC’s finished there).
So for all the complaints Outer Worlds has been getting for the fact that you can speed run it in what…20 minutes? (Not that I see the fun in skipping EVERYTHING and gunning for only main story and possibly a horrible outcome), I’m thankful for immersive and fun game with an interesting story that DOES NOT take me 100 hours to complete.
The more I think about this game afterwards, I love it. The story is great and stuck with me for a long time afterwards (I still sometimes think about the horrid fate about the food not being nutritious and have almost developed some kind of conspiracy theory that this might be happening to us in the Western part of the world right now lol)). I enjoyed the characters as well, and the side missions were interesting enough.

Wasn’t even able for a long time after to start anything that had me remotely enough interested. (Still working on it actually, dipping toes in different games but nothing has quite stuck yet).

I was going to dive into the last planet (the point of no return) yesterday, but I couldn’t do it. All these danged quests still hanging out in my journal, I couldn’t just leave them, even though from a story point of view I was fine with where I left each one. So I actually went around to each planet and finished up those quests in a way that they were removed from my journal.

THEN I jumped into the last planet. I made a little progress there as well, but I’ll have to come back to it and finish it this week.

I hope when the game launches on Steam we get a content drop (the cut city from the trailer?) and mod support.

After 3 hours of play this weekend, and more or less enjoying what I see, I did discover that this is one of those games that causes me motion sickness. I stretched the FOV out to 90 in the hopes of compensating a bit so we’ll see how that goes. Otherwise, I’ll only be able to do 30 minute or less sessions. Playing a character that’ll go heavy on the dialogue (mainly persuade and lie) and I’m going to rely on companions a bunch, I think.

One thing I noticed about many of the first-person games is that the camera seems awfully low to the ground instead of being at eye-level. Am I just perceiving it wrong or do others think the same?

I have put the VAST majority of my points into non-combat skills, and haven’t had any trouble with combat (although my companions certainly help, I don’t feel like they’re doing substantially more work than I am.) A common complaint that I’ve heard about this game is that combat is too easy. I don’t think you’ll have any trouble going dialogue-heavy.

I found the same…it was weird at first but I got used to it. It was worse outside if there was bushes/long grass etc.

Same here, motion sick in first 30. FoV adjustment fixed it. Hope it helps for you as well.

Finished! I loved the slide show at the end, not just telling me the aftermath of the adventure for each planet, but also each companion character and other side characters. That was great.

Playnite says it took me 37 hours 26 minutes.

37 hours well spent. Well done Obsidian. You guys should be making more of these instead of trying to remake Baldur’s Gate.

Huh, interesting! I get pretty heavy motion sickness from all the Uncharted games but not the slightest from Outer Worlds :)

The only game I got ‘motion sickness’ or whatever from was Neverwinter Nights 2, which is definitely not an FPS. A lot had to do with the fact that you can’t move the camera around freely/very far I think.

I could feel myself getting a little queasy from Mount & Blade Warband’s FOV.

I only flood the house with vomit after doing VR.

I went ahead and finished it but I wonder why sometimes. Useless gathering. 5000 ammo and no real impulse to try harder.

Sorta a goofy story that made no real sense in the end.

No spoilers but final end was traditional.

I dunno this game ran flat for me. There were some moments on monarch where there was a bit of a challenge.

Am I the only one? How could this silly game make game of the year?

No that was my experience as well. I really enjoyed the first half to 2/3, but then…glad I played it, but also glad I didn’t pay for it so to speak (Gamepass). I can’t say I’m motivated to do another playthrough.

I liked the outer worlds, but I didn’t love it. I can’t really put my finger on why. I can’t say anything like, “If they just fixed or improved this one thing it would be great.”