The Path review

No, the curled thorn definitely points to the girl in white. And there’s a clear paw print that points to the wolf.

I’ve had the white curling stuff point three or more different directions at once. Surely you’re not going to try to tell me that the girl in white is actually triplets? And while I’ve seen a paw print show up from time to time, there’s always a black scratchy noise thing on one edge of the screen or another (except on the path) that definitely points to the Wolf.

Is that what you’re talking about? Because there has never been more than one of this icon, and it very clearly tracks the motion of the girl in white. It points directly toward her, sliding from one edge of the screen to the other when she runs across in front of me.

I’m guessing you’re referring to the larger, scratches and markings (like the white ones also on the left side of the screen). I’ve never noticed a correlation between them and anything in particular, but there certainly could be. They don’t slide around the edge of the screen like all the other specific icons do though, they just appear in the center of one of the edges.

I have never had that onscreen, and I have no idea how you would get it to show up. I am in fact referring to the larger markings, and I can guarantee you they point to sites of interest, the wolf, and grandmother’s house. They will move as you turn your character, but there’s a slight update lag.

Have you ever actually let the girl in white lead you back to the path? I remember the icon first showing up after the first time I did that, but it could have just as easily been triggered by something else. Tom mentioned the yellow flowers you pick up have some effect as well; I’m not sure if that would be one of them. I’ve picked up 66, but the icon was around long before I got that many.

A couple of times. The yellow flowers give you a very clear map marker to one of your current girl’s unique objects every 6 flowers. (well, very clear except for one of them, which kept leading me to a completely unremarkable tree. Eventually figured that one out, though.)

Then I have no idea what triggers the icon in question, but it happened so early in playing I just assumed anyone who spent any time with it would have had it too. Sorry for the confusion.

my game crashed JUST as I was about to see grandma as Ginger… god dammit.

My game messed up as ginger as well. The game got stuck in the room and I had to use the skip command to get past it.

Slightly off-topic, but this is a pretty cool reimagining of the story of Little Red Riding Hood as a series of infographics:

Having finished this, it’s going to be a fun one to mark.

KG

Sorry for the thread necromancy but I just “finished” it and it´s one of those game you feel in need to discuss with anyone.

I’m certainly grateful of having experienced this, but I had to make a good effort because I’m easily terrified and can’t stand games that constantly have me on tension (if you want to make yourself an idea of how weaksauce I am, I was terrified playing F.E.A.R, to the point I had to play without sound in order to finish it). But I knew The Path was a unique opportunity to try something I have wanted to experience for long time, an adventure without classical gameplay elements, puzzles and other “mandatory” stuff you have to find in any game for some reason. So I went for it.

I’m really satisfied on how well The Path worked as a interactive story, but think it could work better, I specially missed some kind of decision making, that I consider it would have made the game more dynamic and more deep. But the audiovisual work is excellent and the feeling of immersion is remarkable.

I have got my own interpretation of the sisters’s stories, and I have no problems to see them as different aspects of a same person. Their “deaths” for me represent different dangers and situations that a person could face on his maturity process.

Robin’s end could represent the end of infancy and the acknowledgment that time passes, and that the death of your beloved ones, or yours, is inevitable.

Rose’s end is not entirely clear to me, maybe the acknowledgment that not everything is beautiful and wonderful, there are dark and dirty things too. I think the period is related in some way (for the long toilet scene before reaching to grandmother’s room).

Ginger’s end is a bit puzzling to me, but I guess it may be related with the sexual identity.

Ruby’s story is completely clear to me. The path of self-destruction, seeing everything as dark and miserable will only lead to your own destruction. She gets the drug, and she initiates a way of self-destruction that makes her broken, that is what we see at the end.

I don’t think Carmen’s story is about rape. It´s about loneliness, it´s about not wanting to be alone and needing a “strong man” to protect and take care of her, even if it´s a brutal man who abuses of her.

And about Scarlet, I think the old woman doesn’t “kill” her, it´s her own reflection. She took so many responsibilities caring of her sisters that she lost her own infancy, now she only has an obsession for order and control, closing the world around her (the final scene before getting into grandmother’s house, when she is playing the piano). That would explain the image of the old women controlling the strings attached to her.

The girl with the white dress could be the hunter (not my theory, I have read it elsewhere but I agree). She is the one that can guide the sisters back to the path, and she is the one who rescue them from their fate.

Has been a really nice experience, now I hope to more titles like this, but in a less sinister environment. Would love to see something like Galatea mixed with some of the ideas of The Path, game about experimentation, exploration and stories.