The Playstation 4

Does anyone know how to revive a PS Dualshock 3 that doesn’t seem to charge anymore?

Did you finally get a PSVR? That’s a whole new rabbit hole for backlog.

I did not.

But I figure now I have to, because of the Psychonauts game. I also have the Wipeout game that’s PSVR compatible. And it’s the reason I put those other VR games on my wishlist too, I figure, maybe one day, PSVR. The only thing that complicates this plan is Half Life: Alyx. Now PC VR has an exclusive that I want more than any of the PS VR exclusives. :(

Reinitializing my PS4 totally fixed ARK for about an hour, then it froze a couple of times and locked up, crashing my system. Can’t figure out why it’s just this one game doing that.

It’s probably just the game, right? I heard ARK was full of bugs on the PC and Xbox as well. At least, it was a few years ago when my friend used to play. I’m not sure on its current status on those platforms.

That’s what I’m hoping. Perhaps the new anti-meshing measures are the culprit, or something. There’s zero evidence so far that anything but the game itself could be at fault, but I can’t tell if any other players are experiencing the problem (checked reddit, discords). My fear has been that the HDD is beginning to die, but I don’t know how to check for that. Meanwhile, it’s behaving again, so I guess we’ll see.

The ARK stuff definitely sounds like buggy ARK code. You’d be having trouble in other games too if your PS4 hard drive was failing or something internal was going.

Okay, it’s no longer ARK, now. RDR2 just did the same thing: froze up on me, locked up my whole system.

So far I’ve rebuilt the DB, reinitialized the system (not back to factory defaults, because I think that requires an external storage device and none of mine are currently compatible), and blown dust out of every orifice I could reach without tools.

Strange that the issue was only happening when ARK was running, for a couple of weeks there, but now that it’s happening independently of that game, I’m certain it’s a system or hardware issue.

Probably hardware, right? And probably the hard drive, right? From what I’ve read, power supply issues are usually indicated by things like extreme temperatures when you touch the system, or strange video glitches/sudden power loss, and none of that is happening. Freezing and crashing the system feels like it’s the HDD to me.

I’ll talk to Sony CS first thing tomorrow, when they open. I’ve never interacted with them before. And although it’s probably premature, I’m eyeballing this replacement drive:

As opposed to replacing it have you just tried using an external USB drive and moving the game data to it. I believe the external drives perform better too.

I have not, and unfortunately I don’t have a spare that is compatible at the moment (the flash drives I tried when I first got the system were FAT32 but weren’t recognized, and my spare portable drives are for some reason in storage). So barring better suggestions, I’ll probably just install the drive I linked above when it arrives tomorrow or Tuesday and see what happens.

Just format as exFAT.

I think there’s a minimum size to use as external storage. Might be 256GB. The drive will get reformatted to a PS4 file system, so it doesn’t matter what it starts as.

This isn’t out yet?

I’m projecting to the next year or so when the PS5 comes out.

The 2TB drive arrived yesterday, and just before I was about to install it my system became unbootable (error screen did not specify why). Swapped drives and now my system runs beautifully, ARK (so far) included.

Not sure if the old drive itself was bad, PS4 system just borked (this time I started with a fresh install) or if the root cause was something else and is still lurking unseen. Will wait and see, I guess.

One other possible factor I didn’t mention before. Around the time the problems started, I had also upgraded my router to a new Archer A7, and I recently noticed that my PS4 download speed was maxing at 67mbps wired, for some strange reason, while my wired PC was maxed at 170mbps. Wireless (5G), though, the PS4 bumps up to 170mbps. Same brand of switch and ethernet for both. Maybe ARK needed more bandwidth? Dunno.

Sounds like the hard drive was just slowly failing. Part of the firmware is installed to the hard drive so it make sense you eventually would not be able to boot.

Question: I’ve got a regular PS4 (not a Pro) and I just got a big fancy new 65" Sony 950G TV. I assume the regular PS4 does not output 4K, correct? Does it output HDR? If so, how can I be sure the PS4 is set up to send that to the TV (and bonus points if you can tell me how to know if the TV is actually receiving it in HDR.)

Thanks

The regular PS4 does support HDR (and not 4K), but not every game will. I don’t know about your TV, but every time my TCL TV gets an HDR signal it briefly shows a little logo on screen.

There are system settings somewhere in the PS4 that control HDR output, couldn’t tell you where they are from memory, but when I first connected my PS4 Pro to our new TV, it detected the HDR capability and prompted me to enable/configure it with the first HDR game I played.

Yeah, it’s in the settings and your PS4 should let you know. The OG does not support 4K, but you’ll still notice a world of difference if your TV has good HDR implementation.

I can’t remember if you RDR2, but it’s gorgeous in HDR, which you set-up can do. Go for a ride man.